Author Topic: Great Grandparents in Germany  (Read 1216 times)

Offline KMLC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Great Grandparents in Germany
« on: Wednesday 05 February 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,

I have been searching for records of my Great Grandparents when they were living in Germany but so far I haven't been able to find any.

Jacob Kayma- b. 16 March 1868, Germany
Parents: Mother ?  Father- possibly Gottlieb or Gutliffe Kayma (the name on Jacob's death certificate was unclear)
Siblings: ?
Marriage date to Wilhelmina: ?

Wilhelmina Rapine b. 18 Feb. 1875 Germany
Parents: ? Siblings: ?

Jacob and Wilhelmina’s Children:

Marie (possibly Maria) b.1896 Germany
Martha b. 1898 Germany
Anna  b. 1900 Germany
Heinrich  b. 1902 Germany

Great Grandfather, Jacob Kayma, departed from Antwerp on the 8th of Nov. 1902 and arrived in New York on the 18th. His last residence is listed as Bulmke, Gelsenkirchen, Germany. He settled in Munson Pennsylvania.

His wife, Wilhelmina (or Mina, as she is listed on the document) sailed from Antwerp 17th of October, 1903 along with her 4 children and a man named "Wilhelm Bojarrin". He is listed as "joining his brother in law, Jacob Kayma." They all arrived in New York as well and their last place of residence was the same as Jacobs.

If anyone could find any information on them while they were living in Germany (Marriage date, parents, siblings, etc.) I would be thrilled !

Regards,
KMLC

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandparents in Germany
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 February 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello KMLC,

Address book 1896 for Gelsenkirchen:
Chr. Kayma,  Kreuzstrasse 14, Altstadt,
Christian Kayma and Jakob Kayma both at Wannerstrasse 15, Altstadt

I also found Johann Rapien, Hauer , Wannerstrasse 17, Altstadt

Gelsenkirchen Institut für Stadtgeschichte (Town Archive) has a Einwohnermeldekartenkartei - such a lovely long word. (Registration cards for all people who live there and are registered) You can ask for a copy of the cards at:  isg[at]gelsenkirchen.de .   It can take up to 4 weeks. Best to ask for costs.

Genealogie net has some Historic Address books: http://adressbuecher.genealogy.net/

There is a Heinrich Kayma  living in Gelsenkirchen: http://www.dasoertliche.de/Controller?topKw=0&form_name=search_nat&context=0&choose=true&page=0&zvo_ok=0&ci=Gelsenkirchen&rci=yes&image=Finden&action=43&kw=Kayma

Could "Wilhelm Bojarrin" actually be Bojarzin. Quite a few are living in Gelsenkirchen. A lot of Poles went to work in the mines in "Ruhrgebiet".

Hope this helps, regards Peonie

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 February 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps with the search for the marriage, the 1910 census indicates that they had been married for 15 years.  The 1930 census gives Minnie/Wilhelmina's age at first marriage as 19, which puts the marriage about 34 years earlier.  It looks like 1895-1896 is a likely time frame for the marriage. 

Also, if you don't already have this information, there appears to be another child born to this couple who died young - http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/clearfield/vitals/deaths/kayma-fanay.txt

Offline KMLC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 February 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello KMLC,

Address book 1896 for Gelsenkirchen:
Chr. Kayma,  Kreuzstrasse 14, Altstadt,
Christian Kayma and Jakob Kayma both at Wannerstrasse 15, Altstadt

I also found Johann Rapien, Hauer , Wannerstrasse 17, Altstadt

Gelsenkirchen Institut für Stadtgeschichte (Town Archive) has a Einwohnermeldekartenkartei - such a lovely long word. (Registration cards for all people who live there and are registered) You can ask for a copy of the cards at:  isg[at]gelsenkirchen.de .   It can take up to 4 weeks. Best to ask for costs.

Genealogie net has some Historic Address books: http://adressbuecher.genealogy.net/

There is a Heinrich Kayma  living in Gelsenkirchen: http://www.dasoertliche.de/Controller?topKw=0&form_name=search_nat&context=0&choose=true&page=0&zvo_ok=0&ci=Gelsenkirchen&rci=yes&image=Finden&action=43&kw=Kayma

Could "Wilhelm Bojarrin" actually be Bojarzin. Quite a few are living in Gelsenkirchen. A lot of Poles went to work in the mines in "Ruhrgebiet".

Hope this helps, regards Peonie

Wow, very interesting, Peonie!
I suppose Christian and Jacob could be brothers since they are at the same address. I will certainly look into requesting copies of those cards. Thank you for the link as well.

Yes, I believe the spelling of Wilhelm's surname is incorrect as I have tried researching it and have come up with nothing. "Bojarzin" is likely the correct spelling.

Thank you for all your help!

Offline KMLC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 February 14 15:09 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps with the search for the marriage, the 1910 census indicates that they had been married for 15 years.  The 1930 census gives Minnie/Wilhelmina's age at first marriage as 19, which puts the marriage about 34 years earlier.  It looks like 1895-1896 is a likely time frame for the marriage. 

Shellyesq,,

Thank you for reminding me of the dates on the census records. I had seen them awhile back but had forgotten about them.

I have the record for their child that died. That was Henry, but his name is incorrectly transcribed as "Fanay". All in all my great grandparents had 11 children total.  :o

Thanks again for taking a look for me. I really appreciate it.