Author Topic: WW2 property requisition South Shields  (Read 2373 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 property requisition South Shields
« on: Thursday 06 February 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain information regarding the requisitioning of property in WW2. The relevant address is Belle Vue North Ave South Shields.
Thanks in anticipation

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 property requisition South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 February 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
hi there......  I find a lot of land stuff in the Nat Arc site >

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=south+shields+land

and a lot came up   but not specifically about your address,    I guess you might need to know what was there afterwards as well as before to get some hits from NA as there were nearly 10000 hits on land at South Shields......   Saying that ...whynot contact a surveyor and find out what the plot numbers are for the particular land and then go to the relevant council body in South Shields because a land transfer of title would have to be done...maybe find the ratepayer books..... or see if anything comes up in London Gazette site for South Shields in the period u seek..... or find copies of Sunderland Echo or similar paper at the time...........

best I can offer
 :)

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 February 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
hi radstockjeff
I have been thinking on same lines as fastfusion.

South Shields was a county borough in those days, so land transfer or change of use of property would have been dealt with by the local council.   Some records/copies could be held by south shields library or tyne wear archives.

The local paper was the shields gazette so some mention may have been made at the time (or not secrecy etc). if the papers archives do not help perhaps a letter to readers of the paper may elicit some info from the older community.

There were a few different territorial units stationed in the town for coastal defence so it seems feasible to use a property slightly inland from dock and coastal area.
if i get a brainstorm i will get back to you!
taffie

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks taffie01 and fastfusion for those useful pieces of info.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!