Author Topic: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie  (Read 19669 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« Reply #45 on: Friday 14 March 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Julie, regarding Isabella and Andrew McFarlane, I think this might be their marriage/banns here in 1850 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQF-D9R

Long gap between daughter Sarah and then Matthew in 1864. Tried again (which is how I found the marriage/banns  ::)) but still can't see any more children for them via Family Search.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Reading through your notes, we have potentially two sisters of Ellen, living their lives in Greenock? Isabella who married Andrew McFarlane and Elizabeth who married John O'Neil.

I think this is Elizabeth on the 1871 census:

John Oneil 40 labourer b. Ireland
Elizabeth Oneil 30 b. Ireland
Sarah Oneil 9
Catherine Oneil 6
Elizabeth Oneil 4
Edward Oneil 2
Address: 21 So Cage St, Greenock

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 14 March 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Guess what?!

Sarah Docherty, wife of Patrick Dunyon died in Greenock in 1872. Her ages are all over the place. I think this is her in 1871. The whole transcript is a bit of a mess on the details (no point adding occupations as they are a jumble  ::)):

Sarah Dinming 60 b. Ireland
Peter Haggett 60 boarder b. Ireland
Peter Haggett 15 boarder's son b. Greenock
Andrew Mc Karlsan 51 son in law, labourer b. Ireland ...guessing this is meant to be McFarlane (husband of Isabella) b. Ireland
Sarah Mc Karlsan 19 b. Greenock grandchild
Peter Mc Karlsan 15 b. Greenock grandchild....we didn't have him before (remember we had a big gap up to Matthew and Peter doesn't show at home in 1861 when Ellen was there with her children at her sister Isabella McFarlane).

Sarah died the following year, in 1872 - aged 51  8) - at the same address as above, 24 Market Street Greenock. Widow of Patrick Dunyon, a labourer. Her son in law, John O'Neil (husband of Elizabeth that you have already) reported her death, now living at 51 Crawford Street. He didn't know the name of her parents  :-\

Monica

Added: There is an Isabella McFarlane b. Ireland aged 35 in 1871 who shows as a patient at the Greenock Hospital and Infirmary. A possible for Isabella, if husband is with her mother in 1871....where are the rest of their children though for 1871 I wonder?

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 14 March 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Monica! You are an absolute genius! How did you do it? Since I've been researching, I always believed my great, great, great grandmother Ellen Dunning had come from Ireland on her own. Now it seems like at least her mother and siblings came with her. I haven't had time to look at all of this new evidence properly as we have had family for dinner tonight but I think the documents you have sent are definitely connected to them. The census for the family state address Market Street. This is where Ellen and Duncan are living on the 1851 census. I can't wait to look at the Scotland's People records to find out the details. I am particularly interested to find out how they died'
Isabella's son Peter that you found is clearly named after his great grandfather.
I am humbled to know how selflish people like you are spending your own time researching to help someone like me who is a complete stranger.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 14 March 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that was supposed to read selfless.
Julie. X
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 15 March 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I understood, don't worry  ;D

Monica

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 16 March 14 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I have now looked at more Scotland's People records. At last I have Duncan McKenzie and Ellen Dunning's marriage record. As you said it doesn't give any information about father's names or occupations but it gives Duncan's occupation as Sugar Baker. On the 1851 census it gives Dunan McKenzie aged 76!! occupation as Labourer Sugar House. I think he must have left Greenock to go to Dumbarton to learn a trade. Isabella Dunning (Dingan) and Andrew McFarlane's marriage record gives her father's name as Peter Dingan  Labourer. Her death record gives his name also so she is definitely Ellen's sister. Elizabeth Dunning (O'Neill) died aged 44 of heart disease. Her father was Patrick Dunning  - looks like Cattle Scaler. I think Sarah Docherty has married Peter Dunning and after his death married his brother Patrick. Do you agree? It is making a mess of my tree though. She was living at 24 Market Street, Greenock at the time of her death from Chronic Bronchitis Pleuritis. This is the same address Ellen, Duncan and baby John Were living on the 1851 census. I also have a Duncan McKenzie living there on the 1841 census with father John McKenzie and several siblings. His father was born in Scotland though and a seaman. I will have to investigate this. I told my mother yesterday of these findings. She was fascinated. I always said I would do my family tree when I retired. Now I am so glad I have done it now whilst my parents are still alive. They have given me so much information. I could never have got started without their help. My mother remembers her grandmother talking about the Eadies.
Julie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 16 March 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »

Her father was Patrick Dunning  - looks like Cattle Scaler. I think Sarah Docherty has married Peter Dunning and after his death married his brother Patrick. Do you agree? It is making a mess of my tree though.

Patrick & Peter are the same person  :P A common first name variant, see here www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=patrick

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 16 March 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh no! I have changed my tree to show the '2nd' marriage and daughter ELizabeth to that marriage. Never thought it could be the same person. Means Peter/Patrick may have died in Greenock. I had Isabella on 1871 census in Greenock Infirmary and also wondered where the children were.  I know James survived to adulthood as he was the informant of her death and iI have a census records for him.
Julie