Author Topic: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie  (Read 19650 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« Reply #54 on: Monday 17 March 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Julie, I couldn't easily see Matthew, Andrew or James McFarlane in 1871. The closest for 1881 for one of the boys was for James:

James McFarlane 12 b. Greenock. Address: 13 Captain St Greenock, Industrial School - see here www.workhouses.org.uk/IS/Scotland.shtml  Doesn't look like records have survived to be able to follow up as to why James (if the right James) was there for 1881.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 17 March 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Julie, made a post here on error (trouble with keeping multiple tabs open  :P). You can tell I have kept your post open all day  ;D

Monica

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 17 March 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
That's OK. Just doing the usual trawling through records and trying to fix my tree. Been changed so many times.
I thought I found Ellen's parents Peter/Patrick and Sarah on the 1851 Census living with a son Matthew. I am still looking into the Matthew I found on Familysearch. The name came up as Dining. Peter b. 1809 Sugarhouse Labourer, Sarah b. 1813 and Matthew b. 1835 Labourer. They were living at 26 Market Street, McAllister Land. Only trouble is all of their births were in Greenock not Ireland. Peter died before 1862 as he was deceased on Ellen's marriage record to John Eadie. Finding a death is not easy though with the variety of spellings.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 17 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
That is a great entry for 1851 that you have found!

Peter Dining 42 Sugarhouse Labourer b. Greenock
Sarah Dining 38 b. Greenock
Matthew Dining 16 labourer b. Greenock

Address: Mcallister's Land Market Street 26, Greenock

Sometimes censuses show incorrect info...ages & birth places etc. I think this may be one of those instances  ::)

From the entry we had earlier, in 1871, we had Sarah aged 60 born Ireland.

Wonder if we can find them in 1861. From Ellen's marriage, as you say, best bet would be a death for Patrick post 1855-1862. The 1861 census might help at this stage.

Monica

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I agree about the transcription errors. This just has to been Ellen's parents living just a couple of doors away on the 1851 census  and both father and son working in the sugar factory. Remember Ellen's daughter was living in Sugarhouse lane at the time of her marriage.I just wish the original images were available to view. I will continue to search for an 1861 entry.
I have pinpointed a 14 month window for Peter/Patrick's death. He was alive at his daughter Elizabeth's marriage on 17th June 1861 but deceased on 4th August 1862 at daughter Ellen's marriage to John Eadie so should show on the 1861 census. Scotland's People is showing nothing for those dates in Greenock but a few elsewhere. I need to be a bit more certain before I gamble my credits away.
Regarding Matthew Dunning (Dinnen) the mysterious and possible brother of Ellen. His death record states that he died on the 5th March 1879 aged 53 years widow of Ann Malone 55 Shaw Street Greenock. The informant was Patrick Dinnon (Dunning) son who may have been named after his grandfather. No parents names are given.
I have been kept busy by this part of my tree and been distracted by my original focus Duncan Mckenzie my great X 3 grandfather. I need to find him living with parents John McKenzie and Isabella McGregor. Whether they were born in Ireland or Scotland remains a mystery.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Success! I have found an entry on the 1861 census for Peter Dillon (Dunning) yet another spelling of their name living at 24 Market Street, Greenock  which is their address on other census records. He was born around 1811 in IRELAND and was a labourer in a shipbuilding yard. His wife Sarah b. 1808 IRELAND
daughter Elizabeth b. 1843 IRELAND and son Peter b. 1856 GREENOCK, SCOTLAND. This means that the family moved from Ireland to Scotland between 1843 and 1856 so won't be on the 1841 census.
The 1851 census shows a Matthew aged 16 but has clearly married and moved out before the 1861 census. The record states he was born around 1835 Scotland but he was obviously born in Ireland about 8 years before they arrrived in Scotland.
I feel I am getting closer but now need to find a death for Peter/Patrick.
Julie

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Don't know whether it's relevant that the 1891 census shows Hugh DINNEN of Ireland 67 sugarhouse labourer living at 55 Drumfrocher Rd Greenock.

That and your other sugar references are already on the Sugar Refiners and Sugarbakers Database at www.mawer.clara.net, but the Greenock map and sugarhouse info at  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-greenock.html  may be of help.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 22 March 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bryan,
Yes I think Hugh Dinnen may be connected. I am looking in to it.
I have found the Sugar Refinery database  very useful. The Duncan McKenzie showing on there I think they have his age incorrect. I think it is a census transcription error and it should read 26 not 76.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Back to the Dunning/McKenzie research after a week or so trying to 'fix' my dad's side - with the help of Rootschat of course!
I was encouraged by the discovery of my great, great, great, great, grandparents living in the same street (Market Street) as my great, great, great grandparents Ellen and Duncan McKenziewere living in 1851. I dug a little further and tried a new way of researching. I don't know why I haven't done it before and all of you experienced people probably do it all of the time. I just put the addresses Market Street and Highland Close into the search without a name or date and found a Matthew Dinan (Dunning?) living at 6 Highland Close. That is right next door to where my great, great grandfather Duncan McKenzie died and his  family were living prior to his death in July 1860. It states he was a General Labourer and was born in 1843 Ireland. He was living with wife Margaret and children Mary, Julia and James. I think this may be Ellen's brother. I also found a Bridget Docherty born 1806 living at McAllister's Land Market Street 26 living with husband George and children Patrick and Bridget. All born in  Ireland. In another dwelling in McAllister's Land Market Street 26 I found a Nancy Docherty born 1791 Ireland Lodger. My great X 4 Sarah's maiden name was Docherty. I think these may be related in  some way. I also found a Patrick Docherty living at 2 Highland Close in the 1861 census living with wife Catherine and children Margaret, Roseanne, Patrick, William, James and Dennis.  The same family appear on the 1871 census living at Dalyrymple Street. I wonder if McAllisters Land Market Street and Market Street are the same place or different addresses.
This leads me to think that not only Ellen arrived from Ireland but her parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents and possibly great grandparents came too.
I still haven't found Peter Dunning death or anything about Duncan and his parents Duncan McKenzie and Isabella McGregor.
Julie