Author Topic: Lalor Confusion  (Read 10783 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lalor Confusion
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 February 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Back to the 2 death records for a moment-

1) "Ann Madden informant"- does it say she was his wife? if not, she could be a daughter, mother, sister, etc.

2) "they are living at the same address" yes, living same townland or street but doesn't mean same house
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 February 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
No it just lists her name as Ann Lalor.  I'm taking it as his wife, as he had a wife Ann (Nancy).  She then remarried a few years later.   

Offline colmflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Poulnagunoge is just over the county boundary between Tipperary and Waterford.  But they were literally on the Mountain overlooking Clonmel Town (Poulnagunogue is a little road off to the right as you drive up the "Mountain Road" out of Clonmel).  Therefore they are registered in Co. Waterford for things like Deaths and Griffiths Valuations but marriages, baptisms etc were all done in Clonmel. 

Many of the families in that area are still there since at least 1800.  My uncle still lives there with many of the same fields you can see his great grandfather had in 1850.  In fact in 1800 my great great grandfather was born and his birth record shows Catherine Lalor as his mother. Today my uncle's neighbours are still the Lawlors and we are considered related (eventhough it goes back to 1800). 

Therefore if the Lawlors were there since at least 1800 and you are looking at records for the Lalor's in Poulnagunoge in the 1850s-70s and finding the same names you could well be looking at cousins who have the same firstnames because they are family names.  I do recall my father talking about people in the area and referring to them by nicknames and he told me that was because they had the same names so nicknames were used to identify them.  I'm pretty sure that was the Lawlors.

Therefore you may not be able to make sense of the records from a distance because the names and addresses will be so similar and the family have been in the area for so long.  But it is not all bad news.  You may be able to contact some of the Lawlors still living there and see if they can make sense of it all for you.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 March 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
84 Poulnagunoge st. marys waterford Mary & John with family John a Tailor.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie