Author Topic: Grieves family from Dudley Northumberland  (Read 3723 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Grieves family from Dudley Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 February 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I did realise you had quoted that Marriage but didnt acknowledge it.

Thanks for the info on the second Marriage.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DokBob

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 February 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Is this Grieves the person who either built Grieves Row or had it named after him? I lived in Grieves Row from 1940 to 1954. My Great Grandmother lived there from the early 1900s, having been born in Sinkers Row. I often wondered as a child, who was he, or she.

Offline Tantevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 February 14 07:38 GMT (UK) »
This is something I don`t know yet but trying to find out as at sometime there must have come money into the family ot enable them to do things, like building. My home was built by my great grandfather along with three shops in Herrington, Houghton-le-spring, and I always wondered if the money came from the Grieves side of the Family. It is called Grieves Buildings and in those days the man had the right to use his wifes money.

Offline Captain Swosser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 March 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this Grieves the person who either built Grieves Row or had it named after him? I lived in Grieves Row from 1940 to 1954. My Great Grandmother lived there from the early 1900s, having been born in Sinkers Row. I often wondered as a child, who was he, or she.
Rather a late reply this, but the answer is "yes".  Robert Grieves (1816-1877) was a viewer at Dudley Colliery and took a 60-year lease of land opposite on which he built the 15 cottages that formed the original Grieves Row in Dudley (Nos. 1-15).  They were built to last 60 years but are still there and thriving. I believe the original row was extended by 10 cottages by a Mr Joyce in 1865.
This Grieves family had rather a sad history in that all the sons died young and my great-great-great-grandmother Ann and great-great grandmother Margaret survived them all, living in Grieves' Buildings in New Herrington, Co. Durham (commenced by Robert and completed in 1882 by his eldest son before he too died in 1886). Thus this Grieves line ended in 1925. There is a fine headstone to Robert and Ann Grieves and various family members in St Nicholas churchyard, Cramlington. Some are interred at St Matthews Newbottle in Durham.
I have regular contact with the OP Tantevin who was my father's cousin.