Author Topic: A challenge - JONES 1920s in Upper Chase, Malvern  (Read 4664 times)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge - JONES 1920s in Upper Chase, Malvern
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 February 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Yes we've reflected on the likelihood that Jones is a relative, but the best guess is that she worked for them and that they took the child on. THe other child went to the aunt, informant on her death certificate. There may have been another child, and if so s/he went to another unidentified family. There is information about the Jones' from someone who met them, and there is nothing to suggest they were called anything other than Mr & Mrs Jones by the child they adopted (i.e, not aunt, uncle, etc.)

I'm not trying to make a Jones/Bright connection via electoral rolls or directories, I'm seeking a way to find out a little more about who the Jones couple were, her first name possible, and to get a better sense of when they died.

I don't know what resources are or are not available for this period (1920s, 1930s) in this area, as I have no personal genealogy in the 20th century in England.

Based on my initial post, I believe John Jones died in 1927 or so, and Mrs Jones probably died about 1935 (this from first-hand account). Just to reiterate, they were not living on the street in 1911, and appear to have moved there about 1918.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 February 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I have no personal genealogy in the 20th century in England.

Me either.  ;) ;D

I think your theory that the Jones took on the child of their employee sounds very plausible.

Sadly I think "John and Mrs Jones" are your stumbling blocks, as you have already ascertained. I hope someone can find them for you. One thought - did the Jones have any other children? (wondering if elderly/widowed Mrs Jones may have gone to live with one of them?)

Good luck!

PS. Until I read your blog I had no idea of the avenues you had already explored. :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 February 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Available on Ancestry:
UK poll books and Electoral Registers 1538-1893
Midlands - 1832 - 1955 (only Birmingham)
There are a few others for elsewhere in the country.

FindMyPast may have other collections (check their website).