Author Topic: Children's homes  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Perkymite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children's homes
« on: Monday 10 February 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I had several of my aunts and uncles sent to a children's home, somewhere in Edinburgh I think, in 1901 on the death of their mother.

Is there anyway of searching the census for children placed in Children's Homes?

Many thanks for any help given

Offline Perkymite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Children's homes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 February 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all Just thought I would bump my post.  Surely one of our worthy experts knows the answer to this  :(

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:50 GMT (UK) »
hi Perkymite and welcome  :)
If the mother died prior to the 1901 census and the children were already in the childrens' home you should be able to find them.
Search by the children's names and dates of birth if you have them the results would show where they were, either with relatives, own home or childrens' home.
sometimes however people get missed, but if the childrens' home is where they were it is more likely that they would be recorded and the address would be given.
taffie01

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 February 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for the actual census images the only place they can be seen is on Scotlands People.

Unfortunately the general search facility on Scotlands People does not allow you to search by address but you could search by inserting the details of one person as the main subject and then add the second name as a second person in the "household" you should find them.

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have you tried looking a little ahead for other records that might also place them. Perhaps war or military records or marriage records. It would of course depend on whether they had common/popular names or something more unusual.

I had an orphaned grandfather who emigrated to Australia as a farm lad in 1914 with hundreds of other boys and men (he had just turned 18). Under a scheme operating between the governments, but quite different from the children who were sent out from orphanages, but of course that is still an option.

He and his siblings had been spread out amongst half cousins and all sorts of relations when their parents died in 1906 and it took ages to track them all down through the 1911 census - some were under a different surname but that is another story entirely.

One of his brothers emigrated after WW2 but the rest of the family remained in the UK.

While I am not suggesting this is what happened to your family I think that you need to look under every rock and broaden your search as much as possible. When you have 3 postings you can PM me the names if you like and I can look at some Aust records and see if the names turn up.
Cheers
Mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline timeforteasir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Questions people whether he is human or not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hey there!  ;D I'd personally recommend going to the actual Children's home (Only if it's still there) and ask them for records. But if that option is unavailable just search for them and slowly as time catches you should find them.  ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hey there!  ;D I'd personally recommend going to the actual Children's home (Only if it's still there) and ask them for records. But if that option is unavailable just search for them and slowly as time catches you should find them.  ;)

Afraid that's not very practical advice. Firstly, even if the home were still in existence it may be that records are in storage or another location for safekeeping. Secondly, any institution is unlikely to divulge any information to someone who appears on the doorstep.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Perkymite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 February 14 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.

I have now resolved the issue in that none of them went into Children s homes; they were all fostered out and I found them with various Aunts.

I now consider this thread closed for me.  Thanks again