Author Topic: Latin and Dutch translation help  (Read 736 times)

Offline Oakheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Latin and Dutch translation help
« on: Tuesday 11 February 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a marriage record in Flanders, 1795.

I attached the image with the post.

It's in latin so I can understand some elements of it but I am almost sure that there are Dutch / Old Dutch elements in there. I can't understand all of the post.

I am not asking for a complete translation but I as can understand there is no mention of the bride's parents (Petrus/Pieter/Pierre Cosman ). Was he married before before on the record there is a mention of Maria Theresia " ? ". The couple is Petrus Cosman and Albertina Van Duynslaeger. Does anyone understands who is Maria Theresia ?

Thank you for taking the time to read me and if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.
Sorry if I made English mistakes,

Have a good day ;)
Aldridge, Harper, Hockley, Lavis, James.

Also have search in France and Flanders. Do not hesitate to ask for help when searching in France.

Have a good day!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Latin and Dutch translation help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
viduus Marie Therese ? (last name is hard to read)
 = he is the widower of Marie Therese Pathyn/Pattyn (not sure of last name but it looks like one of the witnesses has the same last name).

I think after Albertina's name it says "sui juris" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sui_juris ).  After each spouse's details is also "ex" then a placename, indicating I think the residence.

Then "testis" - the witnesses.  No parent names for either spouse that I can see.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the personal and place names, it’s in Latin.

Marriage was on 10 November 1795 at Eghem*, in premises registered for marriages, and after due proclamation.
Pieter Cosman was from Engelmunster*, widower of Maria Theresia Pattijn.
Albertina Van Duynslager was from Wielsbetle* and ‘sui juris’ (lit. ‘in her own right’ = legally competent)
Witnesses were Lisinus(?) Pattijn and Emmanuel Goethals
The groom and second witness made their mark, everyone else signed.
No parents' names.

* possibly Egem, Ingelmunster, Wielsbeke, all now in Belgium (but that's guesswork  ;) )

Offline Oakheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox and Jorose.

I realize I understood more than I first thought ( My latin is far away ).

For Maria Theresia, I saw a Pattijn ( or Pattijnn ) in the records of Egem so it must be that or a close spelling.

The parish system seem to works quite like those in France, often widows and widowers when they married a second ( or more ) time the basic informations like parents and occupations are not written so I will find Petrus Cosman's first union.

I guess the Pattijn present could be a brother of the late Maria Theresia or an other close relative with whom Petrus stayed close or works with, I'll search about him.

Thanks again, especially for the writing of the places and people names and also about the latin vocabulary, I have noted it all on a paper.

Thank and have a good day/evening ;)
Aldridge, Harper, Hockley, Lavis, James.

Also have search in France and Flanders. Do not hesitate to ask for help when searching in France.

Have a good day!