Author Topic: Gladys Mary Owen born 1886 Caernarvon baptism records  (Read 6558 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gladys Mary Owen born 1886 Caernarvon baptism records
« on: Tuesday 11 February 14 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Does anybody have access to Caernarvon baptism records please? Trying to find info on her parents before I send for a possibly wrong certificate. The Gladys I'm looking for was illegitimate and took the surname Carpenter, she lived in Oxfordshire and London, her father was Griffith Griffith, a solicitor in London. There is a photo of him stating him as her father, he was from the Conway area. I believe he and/or family must have made some provision for her.

There is a school record in Greenwich for Gladys Mary Carpenter showing her mother as Elizabeth Owen and her previous school was the National School Anglesey.  Dates don't tally so I have a mystery.

I would really like to know Gladys Mary Owen's mothers name and any help would be most appreciated.
regards carolm

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gladys Mary Owen born 1886 Caernarvon baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1891 entry for a Gladys M Owen aged 4 b Caernarvon - parents John & Ellen

Also - a birth in Conway in June qtr 1886 for a Gwladys Owen

If she married - who does she name as her father on the marriage cert?

What name is she under and who is she living with in 1891/1901 and is she in England or Wales

There is a school record in Greenwich for Gladys Mary Carpenter showing her mother as Elizabeth Owen

What year was that?    The 1901 has a Gladys M Carpenter  mother Elizabeth living in Acton.  However - that Gladys was b Sussex 1900
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Short answer is I don't know. I've tried every combination of Gladys/Mary/Owen/Carpenter which is why I'm looking for parish records before sending for certificates.

The best lead I have is for Gladys Mary Owen b.1886 Caernarvon, from her in 1901 there is a Gladys Owen 1901 census in hospital in Golden Square London. Her father Griffith Griffith had property in Golden Square (very rich) and his wife was born in Harley Street. All very tenuous!

I'm not sure whether Gladys went by her mother's name Owen or if it was something entirely different

regards carolm

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Short answer is I don't know. I've tried every combination of Gladys/Mary/Owen/Carpenter which is why I'm looking for parish records before sending for certificates

Ok -what documents do you have that show she was b 1886 Caernarvon?

There is a school record in Greenwich for Gladys Mary Carpenter showing her mother as Elizabeth Owen and her previous school was the National School Anglesey.  Dates don't tally so I have a mystery.

I have now found the school record mentioned above - it was 1893 and she was 7yrs old

Have you found Griffith Griffith on any census?  I cannot see a 1901 entry with any legal type of  occupation  www.1901censusonline.com

Have you found Gladys on any census?

The best lead I have is for Gladys Mary Owen b.1886 Caernarvon, from her in 1901 there is a Gladys Owen 1901 census in hospital in Golden Square London.

Born London 1886 according to the entry - not Caernarvon

Can you tell us what your relationship/interest is in Gladys as it may help us to help you

I suspect the 1886 birth below belongs to the 1891 entry I mentioned above

Gladys Mary Owen September qtr 1886  Carnarvon 11b    474
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the school record - the column is headed "Parent or Guardian" and several children have "parents" names with a different surname to their own.  This suggests to me that some of the children were possibly orphans or in the care of another person.  In Gladys Carpenters case - her guardian may have been Elizabeth Owen

Address shown was 168 High St.  Her last school is shown as the National in Anglesey

What is odd is the Greenwich entry is dated 2.10.1893 but says she left her school in Anglesey on 4.5.1894

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have Griffith Griffith well documented
LDS baptism 21/5/1854 caerhun caernarvon son of farmer, became solicitors articled clerk, I can trace him through all the census until he died in 1900. Probate (£22,000)on ancestry refers to Golden Square in London. there are also items in the London Gazette, 20/11/1883, and 1/6/1880.

Gladys Owen appears 1901 census age 15 in the 'hospital for the diseases of the throat, Golden Square. following this, there are some patient records at the London Metropolitan Archives, but I live in Somerset.........

Gladys Carpenter
in 1891 shes in oxford with the Carpenter family and is listed as adopted, so that is where the name carpenter came from. She names her adopted father on the marriage cert (Frederick Carpenter) London marriages 1905 ancestry

I have a feeling that she sometimes called herself Owen and other times Carpenter, but I believe Griffith was providing for her. When she died, her grandson found the photo stating griffith as her father.

I belong to a family history group and am helping a friend with this search, I can only suggest which records 'john' should buy, John's family believe she was born in 1884, but no proof, again which is why I'm trying to pursue parish records. I've found rootschat very useful with friendly people helping, I must say thank you for your interest

regards carolm

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Gladys Carpenter in hospital in 1901 is shown as born London

The 1891 entry you mention for Oxfordshire also shows her as born London but she is 11yrs old

Her 1905 marriage cert shows her as 26yrs old so b 1879

The 1911 has her birthplace as Brixton London but birthyear as 1882

So I am puzzled as to why you are looking for a birth for her in Caernarvon in 1886 instead of a birth in London in 1879/80

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't seem to be any biological link to the Carpenters - Frederick William Carpenter married Mary Ann Cleaver Dec qtr 1881

Frederick was a blacksmith from Oxford so no obvious connection to Griffith Griffith

Griffith was in lodgings in Surrey in 1881 and married in Marylebone 1884

Does his 1900 will mention Gladys?

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank you for all the effort, you're finding the same records I already have, I think the only option I have is to trace all the baptism records for Gladys/Mary/Carpenter/Owen and eliminate them from the search.

It's quite a wide search looking in both North Wales and London from 1879 to 1887!!!!!!!

regards carolm