Author Topic: Swedish seaman's database  (Read 6440 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Swedish seaman's database
« on: Thursday 13 February 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with a Swedish seaman's database "arkion"?
My great grandfather was a seaman who jumped ship here in Australia. His name was Erik Magnus Lundquist/Lundqvist, and he was born 13 Jan 1857 in Härnösand, Västernorrland, Sweden.
Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish seaman's database
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren,

Arkion is a cd...
I have found a number of persons with those names. Can you tell me when he arrived in Australia.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren,

I did a bit of research myself. I can say though that his brother Jonas Teodor jumped ship in Liverpool in 1874. Then there is a Jonas T Lundkvist in the 1910 New Jersey census arriving there in 1876. He is married there.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 14 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Just found a couple of trees with Eric and Jonas in them and saw a Canadian Boarder Crossing record for an Erick Lundqvist. Maybe it is him.

Anyway, I have though, found him and Jonas in the 1880 census and the 1890 to 1900 Records of Non Existing Persons in Härnösand. They were still sailors then. The record I found of Jonas jumping ship in Liverpool could still be him even though he, they, were mentioned in ths book.
"Records of Non Existing Persons" means that they never left the parish "properly". They just left. The date written by the priest was 5 May 1896.
Perhaps you know all this already.

Ian

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your quick reply. I haven't got the date at hand, but Erik would have jumped ship in the 1870's in Adelaide. I have a listing for him from a local database of ships' deserters, so I don't think the one in North America is mine. Yes, I have seen the Härnösand records, thank you. Not leaving properly, does that mean they were expected back as sailors?
That's great work finding Jonas. Another avenue for me to pursue. Do you have any more detail on Jonas jumping ship? And is there anything for a Karl Albert Lundquist, another brother who was listed as a seaman in the household examinations?

Thanking you,

Darren

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
As I don't have an ancestry subscription at the moment, I purchased some pay-as-you-go credits. On the 1910 census, the Jonas Lundquist in New Jersey is listed as coming to the US in 1876, which could tie in with the one jumping ship in Liverpool in 1874. No birthplace other than "Sweden", which is frustrating.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren

I will look up a little more info from USA. I will get back to you with more concrete evidence.

I have found brother Oskar Wilhelm as a sailor born 1853. No mention of Karl Albert. When was Karl born as I cannot find a record with him listed.

"Records of Non Existing Persons" Book is the book the priest put the persons who did not return to the parish for whatever reason. I do know that if that person did return or the priest learnt of that person's whereabouts, then the record would be updated.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren

The oldest date I have of Erik leaving a ship was 9 Oct 1877 with no destination. He left the ship "legally". There is no evidence of him jumping ship....... yet!

I have a number of records of Erik and Jonas on ships. I will get them sorted for you.

Ian

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:40 GMT (UK) »
US 1900 census has Jonas in New Jersey with his wife, but it states him as coming to the US in 1879. His birth details are listed as Sep 1855, which ties in with Erik's brother. He was dead by the 1920 census, as his wife Agnes was a widow.