Author Topic: 1861 Census - Jones  (Read 5610 times)

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - Jones
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
1851 Sophia is a house servant  in the Thomas household
head of  house timothy thomas Baptist minister

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey, long time no speak.   I hope all is well with you in the wet and windy north.   Thanks for the marriage info, it checks out with the info I have on James's marriage in 1898 which gives his father as Henry Jones, tailor.   The plot thickens.   

Thanks for the 1851 doran54.   The fs in 1841 indicates she was a family servant so Griffith Jones, Minister of the Gospel may not be her father.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:22 GMT (UK) »
a bit of a tangle ::)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Typical Jones maze 'simplified' by the insertion of a relatively uncommon name, Picton.   Still could be worse, on my paternal grandmother's marriage certificate every name was Jones including the witnesses, minister and the registrar  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Typical Jones maze 'simplified' by the insertion of a relatively uncommon name, Picton.   Still could be worse, on my paternal grandmother's marriage certificate every name was Jones including the witnesses, minister and the registrar  ::)
O.M.G ::)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I thought all was well when I discovered that her mother's maiden name was Mary (or Mair) Clayton (or Cleaton) who, as far as I can work out was born in Guilsfield, Montgomeryshire.   She will be the subject of a new post when I get round to it.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:59 GMT (UK) »
1861 census shows Henry with wife Mary & 2 youngest sons in the Borough of Adpar, Newcastle in Emlyn RG9/4182 folio 9 pg 11.

1851 Newcastle in Emlyn HO107/2482 folio 149 pg 12
Henry Jones head mar 36 taylor b Kenarth
Mary wife 41 b. Cards, Llandyfriog
Catharine dau 17
Elizabeth dau 12
Mary A dau 9
Samuel son 7
Richard son 4
John son 2 b. Kenarth
Martha Jones lodger 60 b. Pembs, Slebech
all other children b. Llandyfriog.

One of the witnesses to the 1869 marriage is a Thomas Jones who is maybe the one living next door to the family in 1871, shoemaker and town crier.

Sorry to disappoint, this bit of the north sunny and not windy today. We've been escaping the bad weather very nicely so far. 

;)

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 February 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information.  I'm glad all OK.   I know the worst hit is the south.   My daughter lives in Wiltshire, luckily on high ground and although paths by the house are flooded none are impassible.   The winds however are something else.....