Author Topic: The Mitchelstown Massacre - Sep 1887  (Read 8020 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mitchelstown Massacre - Sep 1887
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find out more about a relative of mine who was one of the 3 men shot by police at a rally in Mitchelstown in September 1887, His name was John Casey from Kilbehenny, Limerick and he was 16 years old when he died. His occupation was a Yeoman. I am trying to find out where exactly the 3 men are buried. I have found an article online for Octobe 1887 which names Balfour's Graveyard and the 3 killed listed below it RIP. Does anyone know where Balfour's graveyard is? I am hoping their is a headstone for the 3 men there. The other two men were John Shinnick and Michael Lonergan.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Mitchelstown Massacre - Sep 1887
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
http://www.irelandseye.com/irish/castles/irish_castle_picture_balfour.shtm

link is for a castle Balfour in Co. Fermanagh.  It states that the bawn of the castle is now a graveyard.

One possibility :)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I don't think this could be correct, as Fermanagh is a long way to go from Cork to bury 3 men.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/counties/index.cfm?fuseaction=graveyards&CityCounty=Fermanagh#Church

I agree that it is a long distance.  What denomination was John Casey?  Castle Balfour graveyard Co. Fermanagh is Church of Ireland.  I just googled Balfour graveyard and that was what showed up.  But there may be another place named likewise.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 14 02:31 GMT (UK) »
All three men were RC, it was a huge event at the time and William Gladstone even mentioned a number of times in the British House of Commons, there is a plaque in Mitchelstown remembering the 3 men but I would like to know where they are buried, I can find no mention online of a funeral for any of them men. 

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, 

You mention the plaque, so I'm sure you've seen this or something similar.

http://rebelcorksfightingstory.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/an-eternal-light-illuminates-this-place/

My suggestion would be to use the 'contact us' feature on the site and ask for help. They may have the information you are looking for.

Best of luck
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I just realised that Balfour's Graveyard is not an actual place but its a term the article is using to indicate that Arthur Balfour (Conservative Politician) was inadvertently responsible for the deaths - so I think John Casey must have been buried either in Kilbehenny or Mitchelstown. I have checked the old Kilbehenny graveyard and there is no record of him there, anyone else know of a another graveyard in Kilbehenny? or does someone have access to Mitchelstown Burial records?

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I would suggest you contact the library at Mitchelstown, I'm sure they might be able to answer your
query -

mitchelstown.library@corkcoco.ie

or you could contact the local studies section at the Cork County Library who are always so
knowledgeable and helpful.   contact details    corkcountylibrary@corkcoco.ie   They have helped
me with some of your previous searches.

They might be able to look up the newspapers at the time of the massacre to see if there is any item relevant to the burying place of your ancestor.

Casey is quite a common name in the Mitchelstown/Kilbeheny area.  There are two John Caseys
buried in Brigown but not the correct dates for your J.Casey.

Two great sites for checking headstone photos are  www.igp-web.com/archives  - this site also has an index  www.igp-web.com/index - just key in a name and anything relevant for that name will come up.  Also try the www.historicgraves.com  site.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Nicola Ní Chathasaigh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan! I'm guessing we're related as John Casey is also a relative of mine! I have Casey and Kiely relatives in Mitchelstown and was there last summer to see the monuments. Not sure where he's buried I'm afraid.
All the records are now held in Mallow, so they might be able to help if the parish record office can't give you burial information.