Author Topic: birth record  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth record
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 July 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
Eileen,

According to one of the books on my shelf (Ancestral Trails), in some parts of England about 15% of births were not registered between 1837 and 1875.  These areas included Surrey & Middlesex.  There were no penalties for not registering the birth of a child before 1875.  After this date, a fine was imposed for late registration (more than 42 days after the birth).  This led to parents reporting incorrect dates of birth to avoid the fine.  I wonder if something similar may have happened here.  Perhaps she was baptised before her birth was actually registered.  Is her birth registered in the next quarter - faint hope.  Otherwise, she may never have been registered at all - I'm still struggling with my 2x gt grandfather.  All his siblings seem to appear in the GRO indexes but not him.  There are apparently entries missing from the national indexes; the local indexes may be better.

Hope you find it eventually.

Nell

PS I understand that Maud and Mathilda were considered interchangeable as names in medieval times, don't know if that was still the case in Victorian times.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk