Author Topic: California gold miners  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: California gold miners
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 May 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi James:

Thank you for the explanation.  I'll have a look around.  I can't promise anything, but we'll see if anything can be found.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 May 14 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you ....................

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 May 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi James:

I've not yet found anything but I wanted to let you know I have been looking.  You may already know about the following sites, but...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z6h/
This site has some newspapers from 1836 to 1922.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l15/
This site has newspapers and city directories for San Francisco and other California counties (as well as other databases).
Note:  I've only checked San Francisco so far; I will check other counties tonight or during the weekend.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z6i/
Oakland Museum of California
This site has interesting information about the gold rush, but you may already know most or all of the facts.

I also searched one of the pay sites, but have not yet found anything.

While looking, I tried Glispin, Glespin, Glis*, Gli*, Hisp, Hesp* and Patrick, Pat, Corporal, Corp, Mr.   I've not yet tried Gils*.  I looked in a few of the directories around 1864 for Glispin and Crowley and directories around 1850 for Crowley, but didn't see anything for Glispin and couldn't confirm that the Crowley's mentioned were "your" Crowley.

Out of curiosity, do you know where Patrick Glispin was stationed while in California?  There are some interesting sites that I have visited: the San Francisco Presidio, Fort Point, and Angel Island.  It is amazing to see structures from the civil war era.

Sorry nothing has surfaced so far.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 May 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Lisa,

You have been very busy and I am very grateful - thank you!

I don't know where Patrick was stationed whilst in San Francisco, unfortunately, I was rather hoping that info might present itself but what I do know is that he was in Nevada (Fort Churchill - nothing but ruins these days) at the time of his discharge.

I will have a look at the references you forwarded .......................

Thanks again ...................

Regards
Jim

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 May 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
lisa

well done mate :)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 16:46 BST (UK) »

Offline kam2252

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am tracing the Duff family who came from Washington DC to Mariposa, California. I found them in DC in 1850 and shortly afterwards in Mariposa. One family member who was a miner, went back and forth between DC and Mariposa several times. First I think about 1847. There is some information on the internet in regard to this family, but I wanted to find out more about their lives. Any suggestions?

Kam