Author Topic: Bodfean, Caernavon  (Read 5395 times)

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Bodfean, Caernavon
« on: Monday 17 February 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have two ancestors (Thomas Roberts & Catherine Jones) who, I think (on Ancestry), were married in Bodfean, Caernavon in 1803. If they were my relatives they lived in Newborough (on Anglesey). I know a lot of Newborough registrations were made in Caernavon around this time, but can anyone tell me where Bodfean, Caernavon is please?
John
[Liverpool, unless stated]
Duvall, Unwin, Hughes (ex-Mold), Holland, Forrest, Templeton (ex-Kings Lynn), Hazlehurst (ex-Nantwich), Grier, Foulkes (ex-Denbigh), Williams (ex-Conway + Anglesey), Mulvey, Wood (ex-Lancaster), Lambert (Liverpool + Lake District), Roberts (Anglesey, Denbigh, Liverpool), Sparks, Wren (ex-Ulverston), Hayes, Smith (ex-Dunham Massey)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bodfean, Caernavon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 February 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Bodfean Parish Church is in this Parish;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/Bodvean/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 February 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi William, thanks for that.
It's a long way to this church from Newborough. I notice Bodfean had a Methodist chapel, but wasn't built until 1827.
I visited Newborough a while ago and found a lovely Ebeneser chapel (built 1785), where the bride was eventually buried. I was wondering whether they were married here and the records were kept at Bodfean, if it was a larger church?
What do you think?
John

Duvall, Unwin, Hughes (ex-Mold), Holland, Forrest, Templeton (ex-Kings Lynn), Hazlehurst (ex-Nantwich), Grier, Foulkes (ex-Denbigh), Williams (ex-Conway + Anglesey), Mulvey, Wood (ex-Lancaster), Lambert (Liverpool + Lake District), Roberts (Anglesey, Denbigh, Liverpool), Sparks, Wren (ex-Ulverston), Hayes, Smith (ex-Dunham Massey)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
It is seemingly a long way from Newborough.Were both parties to the marriage from Newborough?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes William, I think so, but I have not found their births yet. Both had died by 1851, so I can't use census information.

But what you suggest is a possibility.

John

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you found them in 1841?They don't show up too readily to me?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi  John and WR

How sure are you that the couple who married in 1803 are your ancestors?  I've checked a number of sources and, apart from the one you mention, the only reference to them is on Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGWT-BJ9
(Batch number - M08267-1)

This, I gather, is the Ancestry source. It's a 'pukka' Batch number but  unless one of the couple lived at Bodfean before marriage and those are banns, I can't think why they'd marry there. I don't think it would be a chapel only marriage at that date  :-\

One think that might confuse is from the link to Genuki that WR gave in reply #1 :

Bodvean Hall, the old seat of the Wynnes, is now the residence of Lord Newborough." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)

I've get some old CDs  out and see if I can find anything more.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi William and Gadget

I've just found Thomas, so don't know when he died (can't find him on the 1841). Catherine died in  1849 (from her gravestone), but I can't find her on the 1841.

Their son Thomas was christened 6/3/1802 at Enenezer Chapel, Bangor. The record says his father Thomas was a smith from (I think) Llanidan. In the 1841 he is at Tan-y-grisia, Newborough with his wife Margaret Jones and family in another part of the house.

So, I'm not 100% sure this marriage is my Thomas'. It's just that the names are right and Newborough records were from Caernavon at this time. I was hoping for more information from the Ancestry record.

John