Author Topic: TYRRELL in and around Kessingland, Suffolk 1800-1836  (Read 3193 times)

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elderly Relatives are a mine of information-Talk!
    • View Profile
TYRRELL in and around Kessingland, Suffolk 1800-1836
« on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping to find the marriage of a George Tyrrell to and Elizabeth Simmons around 1826 and the births/baptisms of their six children after that date.
I believe two of them were William 13 Aug 1826 and Frederick March 1831. Both born in Kessingland.
The family are mentioned in data I found about George Tyrrell relating to his job as a Coastguard. He was drowned in August 1836 along with two other men when taking an officer from one station to another on the Sussex coast.  Their boat was his by a squall and the only survivor was the officer. It stated that George had a wife and six children.
DOUBLE - Harwich, Essex & Stratford St Mary, Suffolk
BOWEN - Oystermouth, Glamorgan & Harwich, Essex
WESTHEAD - Great Crosby & Fleetwood, Lancashire
PRATT - Leith, Midlothian & Fleetwood, Lancashire
BANHAM - Shelfanger, Norfolk & Fleetwood, Lancashire.
BARNES - Huddersfield, Elland, WR Yorshire & Co. Monahan, Ireland.
AKROYD - Stainland and Elland WR Yorkshire
TOWN(S)END - Barkisland, Elland  WR Yorkshire.
RILEY - Elland WR Yorkshire
LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TYRRELL in and around Kessingland, Suffolk 1800-1836
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
George Tyrrell married Elizabeth Simmons 23/2/1818 Dover, Kent

Children:

George bp.31/5/1818 Dover, Kent
Mary Ann bp.27/4/1822 Weybourne, Norfolk
Henry Elgar bp.26/10/1823    ditto
William b.13/8/1826, bp.17/9/1826 Kessingland, Suffolk
Frederic bp.27/3/1831 Kessingland

This is all from familysearch.org - so started off in Dover, Kent then to Norfolk (Weybourne) and on to Suffolk (Kessingland).

Can only find 5 of 6 children, I'm afraid. 

What happened to them after George died?   Can't find any of them on 1841/1851 census.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Annette.  You must have magical search skills on Family Search as I couldn't find anything on their marriage or the children you found.

William and Frederick married with 4 and 8 children respectively.

As all six children were mentioned at Georges death in 1836 then they too must still have been alive.
Both the William and Frederick married in 1846 so after the 1841 census.

Will try and find them using all the relevant spellings of the surname.

Again my heartfelt thanks,

Sandra
LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
I am researching an ancestor: Elizabeth Jane Tyrrell and have found her father to be Frederick Tyrrell who was a coast guard at the time when she was married in Dunwich, Suffolk in 1890. I am wondering if this is the same Frederick who is a son of the George you are researching. I can't seem to find a marriage record anywhere for Frederick to his wife Jane and am wondering if you had any luck in this area if its the same person? I am also having issues finding Elizabeth in a census with her family but there is an Edith of the same age. I would also be very interested in anything else you may have on this family.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
6th Child Emily appears in the 1841 Census in St Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent aged 5 so may have been on the way when her father drowned.
LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
I know that Elizabeth Jane Tyrrell wasn't born till 1871 and in her baptism record it lists her parents as Frederick Tyrrell and Jane. Its her father that may have been the son of your George Tyrrell. I haven't viewed the original census pages just the transcript so I'm wondering if the Edith that pops up may be a misspelling of Elizabeth.

You mentioned in your note on 19th Feb 2014 that Frederick married in 1846, I'm just wondering where you found that as I haven't found their marriage yet and he would have been very young to be married then. He was born in 1831.

Do you know if George's son Frederick was a coastguard as well. As my Frederick was at the time of his daughters marriage I'm just trying to make sure it is the same person.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda  Find My Past gives Frederick as marrying in the first quarter of 1846 and also adds the following:
FREDERICK TYRRELL married one of these people
JANE SPINKS, ELIZABETH NAUNTON, MARY GOULD, ELIZA CRAWLEY.  Most of my Tyrrells were Coast Guards so more than likely we are talking about the same family. 
What happened today just goes to show that one should look a lot closer at the evidence i.e. I had not noticed the 6th child Emily sitting there all along on the 1841 census. It even gives her uncle's name which I can now add to the Simmons side. I love finding the little nuggets, it keeps me going. There is definitely an Elizabeth Jane Tyrrell christened on the 16th October 1871 at Burnham in Essex to Frederick Tyrrell and his wife Jane.  Unfortunately, they don't give her maiden name. What I don't understand is why Elizabeth Jane doesn't show up on the 1881 Census.

LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
You have both clearly just looked at a transcript of the 1881 census and not the copy of the original page.    The 9 year old is not named Edith, it is in fact a shortened version of Elizabeth i.e. Eli'th.

As to Frederick born 1831 Kessingland - he did not marry in 1846 (he'd only be 15??) - there was only one marriage in 1846 in Clerkenwell and that Frederick was the son of a James Tyrrell, Chimney Sweeper!

Frederick and Jane's first child was Frederick Charles b.1852 Ramsgate (birth reg'd Dec.1852 Thanet).   Both familysearch and ancestry show that Frederick married Jane Spain 24/8/1852 Ramsgate, Kent.   He son of George, she dau. of John.

You need to check facts closely - no way could Frederick have married in 1846 as a 15yr old!  Knowing (from census) that eldest child Frederick Charles was born 1852 Ramsgate it was likely his marriage to Jane would be slightly before this - as indeed it was.  Clearly Jane was pregnant then but it seemed to be more of a norm in those days.

So Frederick married to Jane Spain was indeed the son of George Tyrrell.

Annette     

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 16 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette,

Its true I had only looked at the transcripts for now as I wasn't planning on paying for a subscription yet (I tend to go nuts on the free Ancestry weekends and get as much as I can) but I did wonder if there was a shortening of her name like that. Thank you for clearing that up.

I have been checking both FamilySearch and Ancestry and couldn't find the marriage to Jane Spain, you must have some good searching skills. Now I know her maiden name I'll have another look.

Thank you so much for your help.

Linda