Author Topic: John Gibbons, Forfar area 1750 ish  (Read 3549 times)

Offline KevinBattle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Gibbons, Forfar area 1750 ish
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Second part (Mods if too boring please delete)

Campbell had advanced cautiously and had captured Lucknow with few casualties, but by failing to prevent the rebels escaping, he was forced to spend much of the following summer and monsoon season clearing the rebels from the countryside of Oudh. As a result, his army suffered heavy casualties from heatstroke and other diseases.

Outram had also failed to protest his orders not to advance on 14 March, which had allowed most rebels to escape. Outram was Civil Commissioner for Oudh in addition to his military command, and may have allowed his hopes for pacification and reconciliation to override his soldier's instincts.

The Secundra Bagh is a high walled garden approximately 120 yards square, with parapets at each corner and a main entry gate arch on the southern wall. Campbell's column approached along a road that ran parallel to the eastern wall of the garden. The advancing column of infantry, cavalry and artillery had difficulty manoeuvering in the cramped village streets. They were afforded some protection from the intense fire raining down on them by a high road embankment that faced the garden. Musket fire came from loopholes in the Secundra Bagh and nearby fortified cottages, and cannon shot from the distant Kaisarbagh (the former King of Oudh's palace). Campbell positioned artillery to suppress this incoming fire. Heavy 18-pounder artillery was also hauled by rope and hand over the steep road embankment and placed within 60 yards of the enclosure. Although significant British casualties were sustained in these manoeuvres, the cannon fire breached the southeastern wall.

Elements of the Scottish 93rd Highlanders and 4th Punjab Infantry Regiment rushed forward. Finding the breach too small to accommodate the mass of troops, the Punjab Infantry moved to the left and overran the defences at the main garden gateway. Once inside, the Punjabis, many of whom were Sikhs, emptied their muskets and resorted to the bayonet. Sepoys responded with counter-attacks. Highlanders pouring in by the breach shouted, "Remember Cawnpore!" Gradually the din of battle waned. The dwindling force of defenders moved northward until retreat was no longer possible. The British numbered the sepoy dead at nearly 2,000.

By late noon, a detachment of the relief column led by Adrian Hope disengaged from the Secundra Bagh and moved towards the Shah Najaf. The Shah Najaf, a walled mosque, is the mausoleum of Ghazi-ud-Din Haider, the first king of Oudh in 1814. The defenders had heavily fortified this multi-story position. When the full force of the British column was brought to bear on the Shah Najaf, the sepoys responded with unrelenting musketry, cannon grape shot and supporting cannon fire from the Kaisarbagh, as well as oblique cannon fire from secured batteries north of the Gumti River. From heavily exposed positions, for three hours the British directed strong cannon fire on the stout walls of the Shah Najaf. The walls remained unscathed, the sepoy fire was unrelenting and British losses mounted. Additional British assaults failed, with heavy losses.

However, retiring from their exposed positions was deemed equally dangerous by the British command. Fifty Highlanders were dispatched to seek an alternate access route to the Shah Najaf. Discovering a breach in the wall on the opposite side of the fighting, sappers were brought forward to widen the breach. The small advance party pushed through the opening, crossed the courtyard and opened the main gates. Seeing the long sought opening, their comrades rushed forth into the Shah Najaf. Campbell made his headquarters in the Shah Najaf by nightfall.

Within the besieged Residency, Havelock and Outram completed their preparations to link up with Campbell's column. Positioned in the Chuttur Munzil, they executed their plan to blow open the outer walls of the garden once they could see that the Secundra Bagh was in Campbell's hands.
The Moti Mahal, the last major position that separated the two British forces, was cleared by charges from Campbell's column. Only an open space of 450 yards now separated the two forces. Outram, Havelock and some other officers ran across the space to confer with Campbell, before returning. Stubborn resistance continued as the sepoys defended their remaining positions, but repeated efforts by the British cleared these last pockets of resistance. The second relief column had reached the Residency.

Offline KevinBattle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Final!!
Although Outram and Havelock both recommended storming the Kaisarbagh palace to secure the British position, Campbell knew that other rebel forces were threatening Cawnpore and other cities held by the British, and he ordered Lucknow to be abandoned. The evacuation began on 19 November. While Campbell's artillery bombarded the Kaisarbagh to deceive the rebels that an assault on it was imminent, canvas screens were erected to shield the open space from the rebels' view. The women, children and sick and wounded made their way to the Dilkusha Park under cover of these screens, some in a variety of carriages or on litters, others on foot. Over the next two days, Outram spiked his guns and withdrew after them.

At the Dilkusha Park, Havelock died (of a sudden attack of dysentery) on 24 November. The entire army and convoy now moved to the Alambagh. Campbell left Outram with 4,000 men to defend the Alambagh, while he himself moved with 3,000 men and most of the civilians to Cawnpore on 27 November. The first siege had lasted 87 days, the second siege a further 61.

The rebels were left in control of Lucknow over the following winter, but were prevented from undertaking any other operations by their own lack of unity and by Outram's hold on the Alambagh, which was easily defended. Campbell returned to retake Lucknow, with the attack starting on 6 March. By 21 March 1858 all fighting had ceased.

During the siege, the Union Jack had flown day and night (against the usual practice, which is to strike national flags at dusk), as it was nailed to the flagpole. After the British re-took control of Lucknow, by special dispensation (unique within the British Empire), the Union Jack was flown 24 hours a day on the Residency's flagpole, for the rest of the time the British held India. The day before India became independent, the flag was lowered, the flagpole cut down, and the base removed and cemented over, to prevent any other flag from ever being flown there.

The largest number of Victoria Crosses awarded in a single day was the 24 earned on 16 November, during the second relief, the bulk of these being for the assault on the Secundrabagh.

The Indian Mutiny Medal had three clasps relating to Lucknow:
Defence of Lucknow, awarded to the original defenders - 29 June to 22 November 1857 (rare);
Relief of Lucknow, awarded to the relief force - November 1857
Lucknow, awarded to troops in the final capture of Lucknow - November 1857.

Having served with the 93rd for so long, it is my interpretation that William had been wounded either during the assaults on Lucknow or the mopping up operations, and after recovering found himself posted to the 78th, perhaps as a faster way of returning to England....? But that's so as to try and fit to the time line....

Do either of you (or others!) have any other info to clarify?
Thanks

Offline JackieSeares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Wow Mark - I bet it's a fascinating read - but that's so interesting that he published his own life story back in 1840 - it's becoming easier/more afforadable to do such things these days, but back then, I imagine it was no easy feat!
And thank you Kevin for the additional info about the regiments and the Indian Rebellion. My son has always loved military history and reads loads of books around it - but now having a family member who was part of it will make it all interesting to me, too. (My son is going to love all of this!)

Offline JackieSeares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Kevin - I meant to say, I have no further info to add, as yet. I've not had to research military history before, so I'll need to find out what resources are available. I like your suggestion for why he might have switched to the 78th. (He's definitely dead by 1861, as his wife is a widow in that census - but maybe I need to look more into the school's admission policy to see if his son might have attended prior to his father's death anyway. Sadly, that son died aged 12, but that's another story.)

Offline KevinBattle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Doh!
Re-reading, I don't know how I switched to the 78th Reg't when William had transferred to the 74th!! Ignore all the 78th info!..... :(

The 74th became the Highland Light Infantry..
The regiment embarked for India in 1854 and helped to suppress the Indian Rebellion in 1857 before returning home in 1864. It was deployed to Gibraltar in 1868, to Malta in 1872 and to the Straits Settlements in 1876. It went on to Hong Kong in 1878 before returning to the Straits Settlements in 1879 and returning home in 1880.

As part of the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s, where single-battalion regiments were linked together to share a single depot and recruiting district in the United Kingdom, the 74th was linked with the 26th (Cameronian) Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 59 at Hamilton Barracks. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect and the regiment amalgamated with the 71st (Highland) Regiment of Foot to become the 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Sorry!! Does this correction now fit better with the family's movements?

Offline JackieSeares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
No worries, thanks Kevin - I will look into it and see what I can come up with! Really appreciate all this extra info :-)

Offline JackieSeares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Well... it's beginning to look as though there are 2x William Gibbons in the 93rd. William with service number '65' is the one who won the Lucknow medal and transferred to the 74th (there's a suitable record for a William Gibbons in the 74th, with a new service number, in 1861, by which time I know 'my' William is dead) - and then there's what I think is 'my' William with service number '1373' who appears in the British Army Records for 1841 and 1851, marries Ellen Emery in Canada in 1847, also won a couple of Crimean war medals, and dying in 1855. BUT it's not all clear cut, because the 1841 record shows him as 'deserting' and his original occupation as 'weaver' - and then there's a death of a William Gibbons, weaver, in Forfarshire in 1853 - which can't be 'my' William if he died in a conflict and left a widow in Plymouth! Oh the joys of family history research...!

Offline KevinBattle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 March 21 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the (ahem) "joys" of Family research!!
Pity the internet hadn't been invented, so as to make things clearer..... :)

For what little help it may be, the Dix Noonan records have 33 entries for medals for various Gibbons, including 4 entries for William Gibbons, so plainly there must have been more than one...?
Gibbons, William   93rd Foot (Sutherland Highlanders)   Private   L
Gibbons, William   27th Foot (Inniskilling)   Private   
Gibbons, William   1 MF   Private   DL (presumably Defence of Lucknow clasp)
Gibbons, William   2nd Bn Rifle Brigade   Private   

https://www.dnw.co.uk/resources/medal-rolls/results.php?medalroll_id=4&Surname=Gibbons&Forenames=&Unit=&Rank=&Clasps=&action=Search

Don't know what unit MF is, nor the dates for these awards.

Offline JackieSeares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 March 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kevin - I will look into these. I've found a really interesting resource - a thesis written by a PhD student in the 1980s called A SOCIAL AND DOMESTIC HISTORY OF THE KILTED AND HIGHLAND BASED REGIMENTS OF FOOT, 1820-1920 - so I'm currently reading my way through all 500+ pages of that. It has a case study on the 93rd and lots of interesting information about how they recruited, lived, worked, fought, etc! Amazing what the internet can bring up - things have changed hugely from when I last researched my family history back in 2002.