Author Topic: Emily Harriet Norman  (Read 13160 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Harriet Norman
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Harriet WISE was widowed in 1887 when Stephen WISE a storekeeper died. His will leaves all to her.

She became the storekeeper at Bathanga and she herself died intestate in 1895.

Her daughter Emily Harriet WISE, a spinster, was responsible for her estate and she signed the required documents swearing to responsibly undertake this duty. This a digitised file.

Her signature can be seen here when the file is downloaded

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

I have no doubt the signature is the same as the person's who was witness to William's marriage.(especially noting the formation of the H at the beginning of Harriet)

What do others think?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Speaking of the south Yarra Home for Women and Girls during his address at the St Albans Methodist Church last evening, the Rev G H Cole remarked that everything was done to a make the institution as home-like as possible for it was recognised that only by home influences was it possible to reach the hearts of degenerate womankind .  a laundry and wash house were provided and the institution was meeting with such success that the mortgage of 1700 ponds with which it had started some fifteen years ago had been entirely wiped out.

Papers Past — Press — 24 August 1909 — NEWS OF THE DAY.

Further on the South Yarra Home-

This link describes in more detail the exact nature of the objectives of the “women’s homes” and the occupations and conditions of their inmates

http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM00559b.htm

More information on the Elizabeth Fry Rescue Home South Yarra with  a picture.

The laundry which was part of the occupational service offered to the women, still stands and I know the building well.  It is set in a small park near Argo Street Sth Yarra,

http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000339

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Well found, Sue.  I would agree that the signatures of administrator of the Will and the witness on the marriage certificate are the same.

So Emily Harriet WISE then went on to make this marriage which we have seen before?
WISE Emily Hart
To  LORAINE Edwd Lawson
Her Birth Place  WOOLWICH
Yr  1897
Reg 863

From: London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 Parish Registers
Emily Harriet WISE
Born 7 Nov 1849, baptised: 2 Jan 1850
Father's Name:   Stephen Wise, baker
Mother's name:   Harriet Wise
Parish, Woolwich St Mary Magdalene, living at High St, Woolwich.
Borough:   Greenwich

(Just as an aside Woolwich, of course, has strong Naval and military connections which may fit with the Malta connection)

It strikes me that it's possible that the Emily Harriet who arrived with Eliza NORMAN in 1857 was perhaps this Emily Harriet WISE??  However the OP has a birth for Emily Norman so it is more likely that they are two separate people.

1851 at 111? High St, Woolwich
Harriot Wise, married, 28, baker's wife, b London
Stephen Wise   3, b Woolwich
Emily Wise   1, b Woolwich
John Haynes, 55, father, pensioner from Admiralty, b Devon
Catherine Hayes, 50, b Southampton
Joseph Dutton, foreman, baker, b Chatham
No mention of Stephen, Harriet's husband.

The child Stephen must have emigrated also - his baptism record gives his name as Stephen Theodore WISE and here's the matching death

Victoria, 1889 # 5526
Stepen (sic) Theodore WISE, 40
Death Place: Wangaratta,
Father's Name:   Stephen
Mother's name:   Harriet Haynes

His marriage:
Victoria 1875 #3920
Stephen Theodore WISE
Catherine SULLIVAN

So, to sum up:

John and Catherine HAYNES parents of
Harriet HAYNES (b 1821, Woolwich) who marries (in Malta 1848) Stephen WISE
Harriet and Stephen WISE are parents of: Stephen Theodore WISE (b 1848 Woolwich) and Harriet Emily WISE (b 1849, Woolwich) and other chn born in Victoria after 1853.

Harriet Emily WISE is administrator of the estate of her mother (Harriet) in 1895 and marries Edward Lawson LORAINE in 1897.  Death noted 1910.

Eliza NORMAN's father is given as John HAYNES, but I can't find a birth for her so unsure if her mother is Catherine.  Seems very likely that Eliza NORMAN and Harriet WISE were sisters.

None of which finds an Emily Harriet NORMAN after the shipping record!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:24 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Stephen Theodore WISE of Wangaratta, d 1898 is digitised (PROV). It's a sad will as he was only 40 when he died and his wife had predeceased him leaving children under 12.

He names one of the executors as William NORMAN, station master, of Cheltenham - would this be the William NORMAN who arrived with his mother Eliza in 1857?

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I've been away from Melbourne up country for a couple of days and I'm truly amazed at the work that has been going and have quite a lot to take in, many thanks to Sparrett, Judb, Essie, Merlin and Jorose.

1. I ruled out the Loraine Emily  being Emily Harriett Norman after looking into her background and the parents names but the Loraine & Wise connection was unexpected.

2. I was sceptical to say the least about the witness being WISE but now having had a long look at the 1896 probate records I must agree with Sparrett that the witness in 1871 to William & Catherine's marriage was most likely Emily Harriet Wise, given that there are some 25 years between signatures there are some striking similarities,  the "i" being dotted above the "s", the tail on the letter "e" and the ornamental letter "H". I'm certainly glad that I inserted the signature as I would be still "barking up the wrong tree" looking for Weirs. Thanks to Cando, Jennaya & Joyful for casting doubt on Weir and pointing to Wise.

3. Both Bethanga & Wangaratta  are in close proximity to Beechworth in North Eastern Victoria so if Emily Harriet Wise was in either place in 1871 then she didn't have far to travel (by Aus standards), certainly she was of the right age being born in 1851 - 1852 (age at death 58 in 1910 according to Vic BDM) thanks Essie .

4. The link to Malta through Stephen Wise and possibly the same Haynes family as Eliza is remarkable but it all  makes sense and that Emily Harriet Wise was no random witness if she was indeed the witness.

Eliza Norman's son William stated in the ledger entry for the death that the Eliza's father's name was JOHN and that his profession was a CARPENTER, Eliza's mother's name was not known. It was stated that Eliza was born in London although why she and William Norman were married in Derbyshire is still a mystery but the marriage in Derbyshire is stated in the death entry and there is a marriage in the LDS FamilySearch that matches this well.

Not knowing Eliza's mother's name makes it hard to link other possible siblings but the Maltese connection seems to point to Harriet Haynes being either Eliza's sister or a close relation.  According to Eliza Haynes death entry she was aged 56 when she died on the 13/7/1878 making her DOB around 1821 - 1822. Harriet Haynes was born in 1847 so some 25 - 26 years after Eliza so not likely to be her sister but possibly a cousin.

Eliza Haynes was buried in a pauper's grave at Beechworth in 1878 and some 20 years later a former male patient from the May Day Hills asylum was buried on top of her.

Because the father and son both have the name William and no middle name I surmised that it was William Jnr who was definitely living around Beechworth in the 1870's that admitted his mother to the Beechworth asylum and whose stated occupation was "letter Poster" and "Bell Ringer" but it could well be the father William.

5. Back to the Emily Norman who seems to have been given the "run around" of Victoria's mental system circa early 1900's.

Thank you Jorose for this work and I hope you haven't blown your Internet download limit as these old files are big, not to mention difficult to read.

It certainly seems plausible that the Emily Norman who entered Kew asylum (presumably Willsmere, now up market private apartments) is the family Emily Harriett Norman, her estimated/stated age was 50 in 1905 at Kew which makes her 7 years younger than the family Emily and 52 in 1907 at Ballarat but the Ballarat record of her age would have been based upon the admission record at Kew. The case book at Beechworth states that she did not speak much and that there were no known relatives so her true age would be doubtful.

I will now go back to the Public Records Office in North Melbourne and look again to see if I can find the case book  from Ballarat that holds Emily Norman's details before her death there in 1907, it may provide some final clue but given the death certificate stated all her details were unknown then I'm not holding my breath.

The Norman's may not have been all that close as a family as there are no mention of siblings in the few newspaper family notices (Trove) of  William Jnr's death before his sister Jessie and no notices that I can find for Eliza or William Snr.

I also have copies of William Jnr's Will from 1915 and there is no mention of anyone other than his wife and children and there is no mention of Norman's in Catherine Norman's (nee McKinley, William Jnr's wife) Will either.

Incidentally as you will all know copies of the AGE newspaper are not available via Trove (they are available at the Vic State Library on microfilm) but many copies (some in better condition than the State Library Vic) can be found at  http://news.google.com/newspapers but have not been OCR converted.

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:42 GMT (UK) »
You're too quick for me Judith and some fantastic work,  I just posted a reply when your new message came in.

It is most likely the family William Norman (Jnr) who was a station master, but I don't know if Cheltenham was one of the stations that he managed but I can find out.

The coincidence is though too much to make it anyone other than the family William Norman, William Norman Jnr's  last residence and where he died was 14 Cassells Road Brunswick Melbourne Vic, he died on the 18/9/1915.

All this futher cements Emily Harriet Wise as the witness to William & Catherine's marriage, at least all your collective good work has ruled this witness out as being Emily Harriett Norman which is  a significant achievement.

It's amazing how you sometimes see what you want to see, now I'm going to have to diplomatically turn down Les' efforts on the Weir search in the UK.

PS: Bizarrely Cheltenham is where some of the family Weir's are buried!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Quote:
 Harriet Haynes was born in 1847 so some 25 - 26 years after Eliza so not likely to be her sister but possibly a cousin.
  Not correct.

This is the baptism entry for Harriet.
Harriet HAYNES, born to parents John and Catherine HAYNES was baptised 5 August, 1821 at St Martin in the Fields.  Her father's occupation was given as 'messenger' (I think) and they lived at 6 Scotland Yard.

Other children listed as baptised at the same church and with the same parents:
Catherine, bap July 1824
Lolitia is shown on the index but I think it's Letitia, bap March 1826
John, bap 1829

Harriet is shown as aged 28 in 1851.

I can't see an Eliza to prove whether she and Harriet are siblings.

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Adding to the above information:  John HAYNES gives his occupation in 1851 as "pensioner from Admiralty".  Does this fit with his occupation of 'messenger' for the baptisms?  I think it would be quite possible but not 100% sure. 

Judith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Not knowing Eliza's mother's name makes it hard to link other possible siblings but the Maltese connection seems to point to Harriet Haynes being either Eliza's sister or a close relation.  According to Eliza Haynes death entry she was aged 56 when she died on the 13/7/1878 making her DOB around 1821 - 1822. Harriet Haynes was born in 1847 so some 25 - 26 years after Eliza so not likely to be her sister but possibly a cousin.
F C WEBB

Just drawing your attention here to a small error.

Harriett WISE (nee HAYNES) was 67 at death in 1895
Eliza NORMAN (nee HAYNES) was born around 1821/2

Harriett married in 1847  (Reply#33)
Eliza married  in 1845

Sue

ADDING Sorry Judith I have sort of doubled up on your info :(