Author Topic: Tayview Cottage, Kinnaird  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Tayview Cottage, Kinnaird
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm researching the Craig branch of my wife's family and we have the attached photograph from around the early/mid 1950's of a group standing at the door of Tayview Cottage in Kinnaird.  It's evident the cottage has a thatched roof, so it may well no longer be there  :(

We have identified three of the people as relations, but it is the elderly lady with the hat on, believed to be in her 90's at the time, who lived to see her 100th birthday that we can't identify.  She was, as was customary in these days, referred to as an aunt, but may not have been related.  We believe she was married and her surname may have been Stewart.

I appreciate that Genealogy is a haystack full of needles - but it is the threads that I need.

Can any Rootschatter(s) help with this one?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline auchmithie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tayview Cottage, Kinnaird
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »
If you are not from around thisKinnaird , I suggest you follow this link    http://www.abernyte.org/heritage-group- they may have duplicates of images of people from the area
Regards
Auchmithie

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link "auchmithie"

I've just posted my question and the picture on their Forum pages in the hope someone has the answer I'm looking for ... but the last entry was about 4 years ago.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
CF, useless stat of the day is that there were 865 deaths of females in Scotland aged over 100 yrs old between 1945-70  ;D

The positive thing may be that there was only one death for a woman over 100 in Perthshire, with a surname of Stewart (just seven under Stewart/Stuart for the whole country for the same period). You could check just the index on SP to see whether any names trigger any memory on her other details such as first name etc. Craig doesn't come up as a match for the other surname. No deaths in Kinnaird for this period or age group.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Nice to hear from you again with your statistic!  Just 865 ... so not too many to look at then ;)  At least it's a steer in the right direction.  I'll try and narrow things down to that one you mention in Perthshire.  Fingers crossed she died around the early to mid 1960's.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
No other clues there that might give some confidence as to what may show on the indexes?

Monica

PS: I loved the fact that if I put 100-150 years at death, SP told me that was a dud search...I bet you in a 100+ years from today that won't be so  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 February 14 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear,
Just wondering which Kinnaird this photo might be taken at as there are a few places with the same name.  Kinnaird in Perthshire (near Inchture/Abernyte), Kinnaird near Pitlochry, or Kinnaird near Cupar Angus!  I imagine all would have views of the River Tay.  Might help to narrow down the name. 
Kind regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 February 14 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Griff Rhys Jones did a prog on the telly about rivers and he spent quite a bit on the Tay at Kinnaird

I thought there was something chasing the hamster in it's wheel about Tay View Cottages.

I could be wrong but I think Stewart could be the name of the estate owners (getting towards that age play's tricks with the memories)

Chiad have sent you PM with a site addy

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 February 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering which Kinnaird this photo might be taken at ...

Hi Andrea

It was "Tayview Cottage" at Kinnaird, Perthshire. My wife's aunt confirmed it just yesterday.

Chiad Fhear