Author Topic: Court case – Henry Hitchin  (Read 2221 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court case – Henry Hitchin
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I have oral history of a family dispute involving my ancestor Henry Hitchin of Nottingham which resulted in a court case, which he lost.  Henry then took the case to appeal in London and again lost.  In disgust (we are told), Henry added a “g” to his surname to distance himself from other members of his family.

I have searched in vain for any reference to this court case – both the initial case in Nottingham and the appeal in London.  I think the case must have been about land or inheritance and that my Henry felt he was entitled to a share of this and was not given it.  However, I do not know for sure if that was indeed the issue.

Henry Hitchin was born in April 1819 in Nottinghamshire and died in Nottingham in January 1904.  He is recorded as Hitchins in the 1841 census at Sneinton, as Hitchkin in the 1851 census at Radford, and by the 1861 census he is recorded as Hitching at the Portland Arms in St Mary’s Nottingham.

Henry’s parents were Samuel and Sarah (nee Wylde) and his siblings include Eliza (born 1804 married John Goddard), William (b 1806), Thomas (b 1815), Reuben (b 1822), Samuel (b 1824).  There were probably others born between 1806 and 1822.  Both his parents died in 1857, so perhaps this dispute came to the fore then?

If anybody could shed any light on this matter or where I might start looking for information on this court case I should be most grateful.
 :) :)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Court case – Henry Hitchin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi anniecat,

I would love to help, but have no experience of such things - however, my suggestion would be to go to Nottingham Library to the Local history dept, and if you have an idea of when this event took place troll through the newspaper archive to see what you can come up with - ask the team there too, they are SO helpful.

The other place I would try if you haven't already is Nottingham Archive.... pick their brains, they too are very helpful!

Good luck Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I had a good luck through the Newspapers at
http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/ntm_ttda
 nothing coming up in there.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help.   :)

I have previously scoured the on-line British Newspaper Archive to no avail (which has most Nottinghamshire Guardian and Nottingam Evening Post editions) and tried to look in legal volumes.  If I ever can get to Nottinghamshire Archives I will be sure to ask if they can help me.

I will keep on looking! 

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
I have also looked through newspaper archives. No mention of legal proceedings but there are a couple of mentions of Henry in applications for the licence for the Portland Arms public house around 1862.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just realised from the dates you mention that this will be to late for it to be the issue you are trying to find?  :-\

Hello.... :)

I have no idea if this is the Henry Hitchin you are looking for, but I can only guess and hope that it is  :-\

Gazette Issue 23583 published on the 4 February 1870. Page 36 of 58  =  http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/23583/pages/698

Gazette Issue 23599 published on the 18 March 1870. Page 34 of 50  =  http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/23599/pages/1816

Gazette Issue 23611 published on the 29 April 1870. Page 33 of 44  =  http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/23611/pages/2379

I hope the links work.... the site is taking ages to load for me tonight.

Sheila.

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your support and replies. :)

Dizzifish, I am confused by the bankrupcy proceedings - it looks as if it should be "my" Henry, but by 1870 I believe he was consistently "Hitching" rather than "Hitchin", which is why I was anticipating an earlier date.  He also describes himself in census returns as a lace or screen manufacturer rather than a draughtsman, so perhaps it is not.   I will need to investigate further! 

The oral history is of an appeal in London, which wouldn't fit these proceedings being "the" issue, I think?   [I have not yet found out for sure whether Henry had a brother named John.  If John was a brother, it must have been one he hadn't fallen out with!]

I greatly appreciate all your help :) :)
Judith