Author Topic: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived  (Read 4925 times)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!
I am looking to find information on John Wallace.  B. about 1879 and d. 1942.  He is a family conundrum and I am now trying to find information by going the military route! This is what  I have so far:

1. he enlisted (or was volunteered - depending on the story you like!) in the H.L.I, Tramways Division, Glasgow Scotland. My mum tried to get info on him by visiting the HLI headquarters years ago but was unsuccessful.  His # is 13929. He survived the war - is there someplace I can search pension records?

2. my mum has a pic of him in the hospital - he was gassed and sent home in 1917. The pic was taken at the Stockport Hospital in England and he is wearing a blue butterfly pin on his tie to signify he was gassed.  This is the story.  Does this sound right to you?  Is there any info on the blue butterfly significance?

Any help is grately appreciated!
Lorraine
Canada
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
hi Lorraine
can,t find anything about soldiers wearing butterfly pins , but that's not to say they didn,t may be something to do with that particular hospital !! .
as to service /pension records what remains are on ancestry but be aware upwards of 60% were destroyed in a bombing raid in ww2 you may be one of the lucky ones but you should find a medal index card for him as these were kept separately in another building these also on ancestry .
just did a google search about stockport hospitals and apparently not only hospitals but large houses were used for wounded soldiers as well out of curiosity would it be possible to post the photo on here please .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Re: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor
I have a pic with the butterfly pin - will upload when I get home.
The other pic I have is on my there thread ... not sure how to copy from there to here ...

Will try...

nope... no luck.  You can view the pic here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=676081.msg5227418#msg5227418

MOD COMMENT - I uploaded the pic for you
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Being a Stockport girl I would love to see the hospital photo too.  As Trevor says there were a few hospitals in Stockport from proper hospitals to houses and even local schools.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have the photo and will upload tonight!
Cheers
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Here is John Wallace with the blue butterfly c.1917
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this by now, but the butterfly was the emblem of the 19th Division:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/today/19thdivisionmemorial.htm

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Well that makes no sense.
John was definitely in the 15 battalion HLI, Tramways division.
Can anyone help?
The butterfly was supposed to commemorate a soldier who survived being gassed.
Is this not true?

argh!!
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
hi Lorraine
the earlier post re 19th div I think neb was only pointing out the fact that the divisional insignia is or was a butterfly nothing more .
for what it,s worth I forgot earlier to say that injured soldiers wore what were known as hospital blues , as john does in your second pic a uniform blue on the outside with a white lining so when the collar is turned back ie lapels  they show white also they wore a bright red tie as in the pic although imagination is needed for black and white  ;D I,ve just googled hospital blues and looked at several sites but none of them either mention or show any body wearing a butterfly pin/badge , so maybe it is just a family myth .
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk