Author Topic: WORTHY / READ / SPARKS / DOWLAND  (Read 5647 times)

Offline GrahamWorthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WORTHY / READ / SPARKS / DOWLAND
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 04:12 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the following families primarily in the New Forest area:

WORTHY Boldre, Brockenhurst, Lymington
READ Christchurch
SPARKS South Stoneham Minstead
DOWLAND Pokesdown

I would be interested in chatting with anyone who has similar interests.

Thanks, Graham Worthy

Offline Londongirl

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WORTHY/READ/SPARKS/DOWLAND
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 05 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have Reads in New Forest - Beaulieu, Boldre, plus Southampton, then at least one moved to London. Happy to share what I've got. earliest so far is Stephen Read born c1786.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 05 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Londongirl and Graham,
  Have you looked in Comyn's New Forest for your Boldre families?
bearkat
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Londongirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat

I've heard of the book but never managed to see one, began to think it was a myth!! Also informed by someone on another site, a few years back, that my family weren't in it, and therefore did not exist. Well I'm here, so they must have done!!! My Reads and Hardings farmed there and appear on the Census - has anyone out there got a copy of Comyns they could check for me? Have names / years / places -you might hep me break this brickwall. Many thanks.

Londongirl   

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Londongirl,
   I think your family are in Comyn.  It has Stephen READE born 1787 to Sarah.  Her maiden name was DURLE. She remarried to a Mr TINSLEY and lived in Beaulieu Rails, next door-but-one to my ancestors William and ELizabeth (nee THOMAS) HARDING.
You mention HARDINGS - it's a common name in that part of the country but perhaps we are related.
Stephen married Sarah ROLLINS (RAWLINGS) 16 Sept 1821 in Boldre.  I also have RAWLINGS ancestors. 
Does this information link to what you have already?
The New Forest Forest is a bit like that.  Everyone seems to be related to everyone else.
bearkat
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Londongirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 05 15:38 BST (UK) »
If I had any money, I would leave you some in my Will - thank you!! My 3 z gt.grandmother was Elizabeth Harding, 'keeps a cow and farms land', born Boldre but living Beaulieu Rails. She had a son called Samuel and a daughter called Eliza, she (Eliza) married James Read, and had at least two daughters (Elizabeth and Caroline) before he got fed up with the farm, or living with his mother-in-law, or both, and they moved to Millbrook. Caroline was my gt.grandmother and, believe it or not, there are relatives in their late 90's who remember her.

Stephen Reade (born 1787, farmed 4 acres), was living with a housekeeper on the 1861 Census.  His son was also a Stephen, married to Mary and living Bouverie Green, Beaulieu in mid - late 1800's; on the 1871 Census, my gt.grandmother Caroline is staying with them. Stephen and Mary also had children William and Sarah - but then, didn't everybody?? Perhaps this Sarah was named after her grandmother?If I find one more Elizabeth or Sarah, I'll scream.

And you know the weirdest thing about your reply? When Caroline was 18, she got married - to a Charles Edward Thomas - Thomas is my maiden name. the Thomases were settled in Millbrook/So'ton. Perhaps the families already knew each other. Is this an email that can be read by everybody, or just you and me?   

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Everything on rootschat except posts on the lighter side (I think) are visible for everyone to read and will show up on any search engine.
If you wish to say anything in private it's best to send a personal message.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Londongirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
How do you send a personal message? I've only used RootsChat once before today and that was to post my interest.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
If you click on the name, in red, to the left of the message, the personal profile of the poster is displayed. There should be an option to send that person a personal message (I think).  Click on that and type away and send.
Any replies you recieve can be checked by looking at the top of your screen where it says hello Londongirl you have ? new messages.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE