Author Topic: Elrington-Tamson, Louisa, Lucy  (Read 3303 times)

Offline molly_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elrington-Tamson, Louisa, Lucy
« on: Monday 24 February 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
hello , I was hoping someone could help with the above names who are listed in the 1841 census in Berthelot St,  It says that TAMSON(25) was born there but Lucy(4) and Louisa(5) were born in England, but other information we have said LOUISA born in Guernsey. TAMSON is also on further census as THOMASINA but change of address and different surname spelling. We think this Louisa may be our gggmother, who was a LOUISA REBECCA ELRINGTON and may be the Louisa that sailed on the Navarino to South Australia in 1854? Any birth records , marriages, deaths on these people would be greatly appreciated . Thankyou
Smith, Assender, Elrington,Mcinnes, Stone, Wreford,Smyth

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elrington-Tamson, Louisa, Lucy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you got a marriage for your gggmother? 

No luck with finding any births for the ladies so far.  There are family trees with a Tamson Hawkins born 1812 Guernsey but not sure if she is the same lady  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline molly_p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks for that, we have a probable marriage to a WILLIAM HENRY SMITH in Victoria, had 1 or 2 children, then they went to New Zealand, had more children and then to Western Australia where William died in 1899 and Louisa in 1904. Trove notices say husband of and relict of. Dates all match but with such a common name Smith and no real proof that this Louisa is our Louisa? The Elrington name i have found with lots of different spelling etc evrington, ebrington also i found a thomasina in the guernsey census 1851? Maybe Tamson/Thomasina  wasnt her mother but a relative? Funny thing is none of the childrens names have Tamson,Thomas or Thomasina which I find odd as they/ours have 2 with the middle name elrington but one spelt Elvington and 1 Ebrington, 2 others have the middle name of ASSENDER? dont know where that comes from.( I have posted on the beginners forum.) I thought there may have been a birth record for them or possible marriage for Tamson/Thomasina or maybe anyone with a surname that sounds like that? I will check out the Tamson Hawkins you never know.hmm we have been after some link with her for months or maybe she is the wrong one but we dont think so- trying to go through all my bits and scribbles - to find the form that actually said she was  Louisa and was from Guernsey Channel Islands. Will recheck i think it was on one of the childrens death forms, anyway thanks again and hope something comes up

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the background  :)

Lucy on the 1841 I wonder if she was 4 because why would she be written above her sister (if they were sisters) if she was the youngest?  Something to think about.  No Lucy in 1851 but if she was older could have flown the nest.

The 1851 for Thamson has her as married, Louisa daughter, Lydia daughter.  Both children born England.

By 1861 Thomasina is on her own.  Status is unclear could be U for unmarried hard to read.
The records link to a death in Ireland? in 1898 Thomasina C Elington age 76 but again is this the same person.

For info the Thomasine Hawkins name gives parents as James Hawkins & Elizabeth Frost.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline molly_p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:21 GMT (UK) »
wow, yes your right with Lucy being younger it is odd listing her first. I wonder if Lucy is Lydia? maybe its Lucy lydia or Lydia Lucy? was she much younger in the 1851 census?  They did have children born in new zealand, a  Louisa Lilly 1864-1930 and a Lydia Agnes 1878-1919, no Lucy that i can find. But at least the Lydia sounds good. So if this Louisa disappears from the Guernsey census(unless she got married or went back to England) and the Louisa Elrington on board the navarino 1854 ends up in South Australia , then goes to Victoria and gets married, all fits ,BUT, no proof it is her . Interesting the death in Ireland -fits-what records do you mean link to that? are they the census records? Unfortunately although we have found great informative notices on their children, there is nothing linking this William and Louisa to their parents,aunts, uncles etc. I will have to get Louisas death cert although i think my cousin has already checked that and didnt find anything new-but- i will speak again to her. I am not very organized as yet and have things scribbled all over the place but are very much enjoying this search. Thanks again

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
1851 ages for the girls are 15 for Louisa and 10 for Lydia.  Louisa is a milliners  - assistant or apprentice.  Lydia a scholar.  No occupation for Thamson who is down as 30 so young to have a 15 year old.  They also have a lodger who is a dressmaker.

Best bet for finding a birth in England is the one after 1837 (you can order certificates for those!)which would be Lydia around 1841 but I can't find one. 

Yes when you search for a name it comes up with likely people that may or may not be the one you are looking for.

I asked about the marriage for Louisa to see if it gave fathers name or any other clues.
Interesting all these girls disappear from Guernsey and we have no husband/father for T.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 February 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Little bit more.  Found a family tree with Louisa Rebecca on birth 1837 Guernsey parents not shown but husbands father down as Benjamin Smith born 1810 London England.

Tree only gives the two children born in New Zealand with the Assender middle names most unusual.  That must be a family name either his or hers, pity as you say Thomasina doesn't appear as a name down the line  :(

Could be this William Henry Smith born 31 May 1831 baptised 17 August 1834 Shoreditch Middlesex father Benjamin an engineer mother Mary Elizabeth.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline molly_p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
hi milliepede, just rechecked the wa online indexes-Smith William Henry age 68   father BENJAMIN mother unkown  Place of Birth London reg no 2185 reg year 1899 !! sounds like could very well be the William you have found. I am going to look through the death notices again and see if i can find a birth date.  Also Smith Louisa Rebecca age 65 father WILLIAM mother unknown Louisa place of birth Guernsey Channel Islands reg no 2605 reg year 1904. Do you think it is worth getting a death cert for either of these? I am going to order a marriage cert for them.  i have read sometimes there will not be any more information than is online depending on year? Also i read that i have personal messages and when i have tried to read or reply they seem to have disappeared- is there somewhere on this screen that i can find them again? sorry about the way i have typed this but as you can see i cant use a keyboard ! will get some quick lessons as soon as someone is awake /home / available! thanks again