Author Topic: bone family  (Read 2938 times)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bone family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 May 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
I am a bit puzzled about Grace being the eldest, I have Agnes born 1867, as her parents were married 1867, did they have Grace out of wedlock.

Ann

Offline D-ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
Having had a think about this I think that you will be correct and that Agnes would be the eldest daughter.  This would follow the Scottish tradition of naming the eldest daughter after her maternal grandmother.  Perhaps Grace would be the second born, named after James Douglas's mother?  It is probable that the information which was given to me had become confused through the passage of time. 

Offline D-ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 24 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
After a gap of about 10 years I seem to have become hooked on ancestry research again!

I've been trying to find some records for Agnes (Nancy) Boyd, going back before her marriage to George Bone on 27th August 1824. Their marriage record states that she was from Penpont.  She died on 26th June 1881, the record gives her age as 75, her father's first name is a bit smudged but looks like Robert Boyd, whose occupation was a flesher.  Her mother's name is missing.

I seem to be going round in circles so would be very grateful if anyone has information which could help.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 24 22:02 GMT (UK) »
If it helps in any way, there are death records for Douglas parish from January 1833 to December 1854.
There are only 4 entries with the surname Bone.

HELEN BONE, Rawhills, aged 13 years. 1st August 1835. Decline.

WILLIAM BONE, Leelaw, aged 56 years. 19th September 1841. Consumption.

WILLIAM BONE, Douglas, aged 20 months. Fever.

- - - - -  BONE, Douglas, 28th January 1854. stillborn. William Bone's child.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline D-ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I should have mentioned the name of the parish.  After her marriage to George Bone, Agnes (Nancy) Boyd lived and died in Roberton in Wiston & Roberton Parish.  The marriage record from that parish gives her home parish as Penpont, (Dumfriesshire) but I've been unable to trace any records of life events for either her or her father there.  I guess perhaps the family moved around a bit.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the name of their children can provide any clues regarding the names of maternal grandparents. From online family trees, they have George Bone's parents as William Bone and Henrietta Nicol.

Following their marriage in 1824:

1824 - William
1826 - Susannah Alexander
1828 - David
1831 - James Nicol
1833 - Henrietta Nicol
1833 - Margaret Campbell
1836 - George
1838 - Agnes
1840 - Jean

Sometimes mistakes are made by informants when reporting deaths. I would consider options in case the name of her father (Robert) is not correct.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Agnes gave her birth place as Closeburn, Dumfrieshire didn't she. I can see this Boyd entry:

JEAN BOYD
Father DAVID BOYD/
14/04/1808
816 10 / 124
Closeburn

One of those irritating entries where only father's name is given  ::)

If George and Agnes followed Scottish naming pattern, I would be considering whether Agnes's father was indeed named David (as per the name of their second born son) rather than Robert.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Taken from the Pre 1855 Monumental Inscriptions of the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire, by Sheila A. Scott.
(This book was complied and printed before the wonders of the Internet, the text is full of abbreviations and can be difficult to follow at times, I will do my best to translate!)

Roberton Churchyard.

Entry No.82.
"Erected by James Nicol and his wife Jane Blyth & several of their children, Henrietta Nicol the last of the family of William Bone, farmer Roberton who died 20th May 1832 aged 65 years. George Greenshields Bone, Knowe farm Roberton died 30th May 1937 aged 89 years, his wife Agnes Gibson Elder died 5th January 1947.
Erected by son and brother William Nicol DD London 1817".

(Some of this doesn't make complete sense to me but perhaps it does to others? Is the 1832 date of
 death for Henrietta or William?)

Entry No.86. "(very worn stone). Erected by James Bone, farmer in memory of his wife Grace Hamilton Smith Bone who died at .............. Lesmahagow February 1870 ........... his 2 children who died at ........... Agnes Bone died 13th July 186(.) aged 2 years. Grace Bone died 31st March 18(6)5 aged 2 years".

Lots of this inscription worn and missing but it may help.
No other entries with the surname Bone in this churchyard.

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline D-ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica, that's a good starting point for me!  I had Penpont from the marriage record, but not the Closeburn record.  I think you're probably correct - it's likely that Robert may not be the correct name; especially as Agnes's mother's name is missing from her death certificate, perhaps there was no contact with the older generation and memories of names had been forgotten over the years.

Many thanks again to Lodger for help.  It's a good few years now since I visited Roberton, and the wording on the sandstone headstone was becoming very weathered then.  Here's a copy of the wording which I made out:
"Here lie the bodies of James Nicol and Jane Blyth his spouse as also several of their children.
Colossians 14
also Henrietta Nicol the last of the family spouse of Wm Bone farmer, Roberton, who died May 20th 1862 aged ? (indistinct)
She died in the faith as quoted in the above passage.
George Greenshields Bone, Knowe Farm etc (same as Lodger's to 1947)
Erected as a small token of filial and fraternal affection by William Nicol. DD. London 18?"

From the inscription at the end, I guessed that it had been erected on the death of Henrietta Nicol, however, she would have been older than 65 in 1862 as she and William were married in 1798.  William is included in the census of 1851 (aged 72) but I can't see him after that.  I've not been able to track the records for William and Henrietta's deaths. 

About 50 years ago my father took a copy of the gravestone inscription and the date which he had copied down at the time (after the word London) was 1817. 

Some points that may be of mild interest to someone - there are 2 prints of portraits of William Nicol DD, Minister of the Scots Church, Swallow St., London on the National Galleries Scotland website. 
Some memories passed down from my grandmother's childhood in Roberton;  her teacher at Roberton (very late 1870s/early 1880s) was a Mr Greenshields - maybe the same one on the gravestone!  Her father was a shoemaker who made ploughmen's boots - with her very first salary she bought a pair of dainty shoes!  She remembered running across the fields, with her mother, Jane Douglas (Bone), to the railway line where the train stopped to let them board.