Author Topic: Goring family in Thornaby - parish register look-up  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Jenie Oakley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goring family in Thornaby - parish register look-up
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Arnold Goring was born in Thornaby in 1910. He had six older siblings, but according to the information given in the 1911 census there had been a further two children that did not survive. I would like to request a look-up for baptisms and burials of children of William Francis and Mary Ann Goring (nee Ellis) from 1891-1911. The family were living in Lumsden Street, Thornaby on the 1901 census - this is the only address I have for this period. Later they had moved over to Stockton, but my grandfather's place of birth in 1910 was Thornaby not Stockton and his siblings' birthplaces are also given as Thornaby. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a map showing Lumsden Street to see which church it was closest to; it seems to have been demolished, possibly in the 1970s when the A66 diversion was built. If anyone can help I would be most grateful, as I would love to know about my great aunts / uncles (if only their names and some dates) that died in infancy and be able to obtain certificates for them. The children who survived were - Gertrude (1892), Pleasant (1896), Wilfred (1898), Mary Ann Payton (1901), William Francis (1903), Leonard (1905) and my grandfather Arnold (1910). Thank you very very much to anyone who can help!  :)
Oakley, Briars, Parker, Mardlin, Maddams, Bygrave, Smith, Chalkley, Kilb(e)y, Marlow, Gray, Coleman, Chapman, Harris, Pack, Denton
Goring, Webster, Ellis, Dodds, Payton, Birkinshaw, Barker, Waudby, Linsley, Edson, Atkin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Goring family in Thornaby - parish register look-up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are a lot of Goring births and infant deaths in the Middlesborough Registration district but no Pleasant Goring.  In 1896 there is a Lily & a Reginald

There is no way of knowing which of those births/deaths are relevant to your family as mothers maiden names were not shown on birth registration entries until late 1911

There are no baptisms on Family Search.  Which church would they have been baptised in?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jenie Oakley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thank you for replying. I have already searched the IGI etc, nothing for Thornaby there. I have checked and I do have another address from the 1911 census, 5 Elizabeth Street, Thornaby. This street still seems to be there and is towards the north of Thornaby. St Luke's seems to be the nearest church, followed by St Paul's. My grandfather was only 10 months old so maybe he was born at this house. I have been trying to find out which parish Lumsden Street was in and which church was closest but not having much luck. Perhaps this street was also in North Thoraby, where the diversion road is now.

I only know the church in Stockton that the family went to after moving across the river into Durham, but I would imagine that the children would have been christened in the local parish church for where they were living at the time in Thornaby. Just wish I could knew for sure to narrow down my request! The earlier generations of both sides of the family were not local so I don't really have anything there to give me a clue.

Any help is very much appreciated, as I am stuck at the moment with these 'missing' children.

Thank you.

Jenie

PS Love the photo of your cat Carole, we had two like him when I was growing up!
Oakley, Briars, Parker, Mardlin, Maddams, Bygrave, Smith, Chalkley, Kilb(e)y, Marlow, Gray, Coleman, Chapman, Harris, Pack, Denton
Goring, Webster, Ellis, Dodds, Payton, Birkinshaw, Barker, Waudby, Linsley, Edson, Atkin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

I too had family living in Lumsden Street including two infants who died within 24 hours of each other from Whooping Cough, although this was 1878 so probably just a bit too early.   I have the marriage record of their parents but it just says "The Parish Church" which I believe was St Pauls.

As for where Lumsden Street was, this description may help:

"Interspersed within the triangle formed by Mandale Road, George Street and Darlington Street (now part of Thornaby Road) were a collection of residential streets perhaps forgotten now, like Caledonia Street, Carlisle Street, Lumsden Street, Cross Street, Hibernia Street and Butterwick Place." 

My Dad was born in Darlington Street and remembers the old area well - he's not so great on the churches but still drinks at the club in Thornaby every weekend without fail!

I seem to remember seeing a map on a chat site I'm on- could take a while to find but if I do I'll let you know. 

PS - Another thought.  To narrow down the potential infant birth / deaths have you tried the Stockton Roots website.  Their records cover Thornaby 1875 - 1948 but exclude the wider Middlesbrough area.  If you start with the deaths then cross reference those names with births, then exclude any years you already have surviving children for, you should hopefully have a manageable number to look into further.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline PaulMayo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering would all these people you speak of be a relation of the following people buried in Thornaby cemetry- Rose Hannah Goring 25 yrs (6/3/1923); George Henry Goring 33yrs (14/4/1928); Joan Goring 5yrs (19/7/1928). Trying to track down existing family members! Many thanks

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:09 GMT (UK) »
George H Goring married Rose (A) Tunney 1922 registered Stockton

They had a daughter Joan 1923 registered Middlesborough -March quarter

Since Rose died 1923 age 25 it was possibly due to complications of child birth.

Ref:
FreeBMD
GRO Index

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
George is the son of Richard Goring married Mary Bowen 1885
-----------------
Richard Goring and William Francis Goring Goring are brothers
-------------------
William Francis bap. 20 June 1858 at Bilston Staffs to Richard and Mary Ann

Richard bap. 20 May 1860  at Bilston Staffs same parents.*

ADDED
Richard Goring married Mary Ann Payton 1 May 1854 Bilston Staffs. Reg. Wolverhampton

Mary Ann dies before 1866 when he marries 2nd Ellen Baker

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the original question from 2014, although I expect it has been found.

The missing children are William Ernest 1894 died 1895 age 1
Albert 1895  died 1895 age 0

There is no Pleasant in 1896 but there is a Reginald 1896 with mother's maiden name Ellis. A mix up in registration?

Notes Richard (snr.)and his second wife Ellen had a daughter Pleasants age 1 in 1881