Author Topic: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries  (Read 27577 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries
« Reply #36 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
The only reference to a Hodge or Casdon is as follows.
      "Wellowgate Cemetery"
Middel Area No.VI.
 This area at the back of No1 extends to main road from Cemetery Gate.
Rows start from end opposite No.1
 Row 1…
3.) Small Slab…In Memory of Margaret Hodge,daughter of William Hodge,Brewery Cottage.
  I am wondering if someone who lives in Hawick can possibly check further on this to at least get a date….
   I did check all 3 M.I. books and that was the only one I found.Hopefully the fathers name will be a clue of some sort.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Don't necessarily mi's depends if a stone exists - not every grave/lair has a stone - try and check the lair books (generally kept by local authority)

Unusual middle names check female relatives maiden names - can be good source as some names are brought through a family

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 30 January 16 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I quite agree. St Mary's M.I. were done many years ago and the copies I have were 1935-1936 and I believe the last burial here was a gal by the name of Annie Scott White,year unknown.
As for Wellogate…unsure of when it opened and closed.
Wilton Cemetery…not known the opening & closing time frame.
 Also…when some of these stones were recorded,they could well have been in sad shape as well take into account fallen,broken and moved stones.
 These cemetery recordings that I have were done by the late James H.Haining.
  This would be great if someone in Hawick could find out the opening and closing of these 3 cemeteries…and I am curious if there is another cemetery been used.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »
That is my Margaret, daughter of James Hodge,  brewer. I have them 1861 in Brewery cottage.

I have looked all,over for a Casdon name connection but nothing yet. Not much on Margarets  mums side Elizabeth Brown b. Alloa.

If anyone could check the grave for further info that would be great as I am in Midlands miles away.

Ta  Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
wait a minute - you say William Hodge father - mine was James. will def need to see date.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I found a link to the Scottish Association of Border councils managing the cemetery & have sent them a request for info .

Diddy

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 30 January 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Wellogate,Wilton,st Cuthbert's are still in general issue and st Mary's is only in use re family lair but quite rare these days

Old Wilton closed years ago and grassed over but some family stone were moved near the wall, because some relatives were known when the work was done

Wellogate date from late 1840's around the cholera out break as does most of Wilton

There's a chorlea pit near the lodge at wellogate it is noticeable at its a open space with stones around it and none in it

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 30 January 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Terianne…Thanks for the update…..any and all info is so important in all of our research.
I will add a some tidbits here as well and this is from James H. Haining reports.
   "Wellogate Cemetery"
 This burial ground was opened in 1849 as an extension to St'Mary's Churchyard by the Heritors of Hawick Parish and remained in their control to a much later date.
  The first interment in the Heritors Ground was that of Robert Turnbull,age 17,son of Margaret Scott,Kirkwynd,on the 13 July 1849 who died of consumption,a very frequent cause of death then.
   It was very fortunate indeed that this ground was available at this time,as it was immediately required for the victims  of the last Clorea Epidemic.
   On July 31,of the same month the first victor was buried….Margaret Miller,wife of John Crummie,Nave,Teviot Square.Her husband died two days previously (29),cause of death,gluttony.
   One hundred and forty one  died in Hawick and 56 in Wilton as a result of the dread visitation.
The last victor died 18th November of the same year.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
diddymiller

had a look at the 1861 census and Margaret's parents came from Stirlingshire and came to Hawick via Cupar in Fife in the 1850's, because they aren't in the Hawick 1851 census, as they lived in the Slitrig side of the Town, Margaret is probably buried in Wellogate (but possibly st Mary's), but she may not have a stone - she was a very small child and with her father James being a Brewer with a large family, but she might have been given a mention on a later stone of the family if they stay in Hawick - Lair book is still your best bet - Wellogate is the largest cemetery in Hawick

As for Casdon try checking in Stirlingshire