Author Topic: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries  (Read 27576 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries
« Reply #45 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks I have all the family info going forward. James is in the Fife brewing book! And then he went to Castle Eden Brewery Durham
He & wife are buried in bishop wear mouth cemetery.

Have looked for the Casdon link all over SP but as can't find James bap 1820 Stirling or wife Elizabeth brown 1821 Alloa I am struggling to go further back.

Possible for James 1841 in linlithgow not born in County.  2 Elizabeth browns 1841 both as servant b.1821 so not with parents.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 01 February 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Diddymiller

You may have to check the church records as they maybe nonconformist's and don't always appear in the OPR pre1855 records, also check the IGI

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 01 February 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I have already checked IGI.

Another mystery - Scottish border council have sent me (copy of doc)  the burial of:
Margaret Hodge, Wellogate. buried 24 sept 1860 from Scarlet fever d/o William Hodge, brewer, brewery cottages, Hawick.
My Margaret died 22 sept 1860, from scarlet fever. d/o James Hodge, brewer, brewery cottages, Hawick (SP)

Confusing!!
Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
yes very confusing

All the B & D records have her dad as James even on the IGI 

James & Elizabeth were married in Alloa in 1846

There wasn't many Hodges in Scottish Borders in 1860

May be its a typo or James uses his Middle Name instead of his first, which could be William - who knows - more digging needs

but there is a William Hodge in the Stirlingshire born 1821 that could fit the James children's naming  pattern

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
This is for reference for those dealing with the "Wilton Cemetery."

"Wilton Old Cemetery 1762"
Wilton Old Church was built in 1762 and the cemetery would be started at that time.The old church was closed in 1861 and later the congregation moved to the new Wilton Church.For many years the cemetery had a derelict appearance and many stones were removed or replaced in 1958 but in 1961 the railings and wall of the old 18th century cemetery were removed along with many of the remaining headstones and public pathways laid with grassy areas for children to play on.One or two special headstones were left in position,notably that of James Thomson who died in 1838,author of "Teribus" and those of the Pringle family of Wilton Lodge….now the Museum"

This write up is from the "Hawick Archaeological Society Transactions" 1985... page 29
  I am posting this fro the researchers that do not a copy of this issue.

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Ajjbc

James Thomson who died in 1888 wrote the border queen not teribus that was written by Hawick poet James Hogg who died in 1838 (not to be confused with ettrick shepherd)

A good book to check out is Hawick songs and sing writers by Robert Murray  3rd edition 1897

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
It seems that even the Hawick Archaeological Society makes long gone errors…
   They might want to correct that particular issue.
…but I thank you for the info.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 04 February 16 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I have already checked IGI.

Another mystery - Scottish border council have sent me (copy of doc)  the burial of:
Margaret Hodge, Wellogate. buried 24 sept 1860 from Scarlet fever d/o William Hodge, brewer, brewery cottages, Hawick.
My Margaret died 22 sept 1860, from scarlet fever. d/o James Hodge, brewer, brewery cottages, Hawick (SP)

Confusing!!
Diddy

Hi Diddy,

Is it possible that 2 different people gave the info.........one re death, other for burial & the burial info. with father's name was an error by the informant or maybe the informant re the burial was named William & a misinterpretation ?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes I was thinking that is probably the explanation.  There are no other Margaret Hodge deaths 1860 SP.

Diddy