Author Topic: London Burial Grounds website  (Read 3906 times)

Offline turnover267

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Burial Grounds website
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 September 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
The simplest approaches are usually the best!! Yes thanks - I hadn't yet asked them but should!

My initial query by email to the cemetery showed that the staff are very loaded at the moment with the direct and indirect impact of Covid! However you are right that I should ask - if they have image files it would be  a simple / quick reply by email.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Burial Grounds website
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 September 21 23:29 BST (UK) »
I am quite familiar with Streatham Cemetery and if you give me the names, dates, and plot numbers, here or by PM, I may be able to assess whether the grave can be found without need to involve the office. I might even have a photo.

If you go the PHOTOS tab on Find a Grave's main page for the cemetery. you'll find a photo of the plan on a big sign by the main gate. Click on "View original" (bottom right) to expand it in a new browser tab, and then on the map to see it at full resolution. This just shows the sections, though, not individual graves. The plot numbering is reasonaby logical, though sometimes you have to struggle to work out what that logic is! Most sections have the low numbers going around the first few rows near the paths, but in the middle may switch to running in parallel lines. There are a lot of war graves with their distinctive gravestones, and if you look at the listing on the CWGC page, you may find some near yours. But there's a lot of bare grass and some reused graves, which doesn't help.

Good luck!
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.