Author Topic: MOORHOUSE - Willoughby on the Wolds  (Read 1908 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
MOORHOUSE - Willoughby on the Wolds
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 10:00 BST (UK) »
Nottinghamshire is brand new stamping ground for me, so I'm trying to find my feet a bit.

I have only this week found out that one of my ancestors, Elizabeth Wynne, a teacher in the national schoo, born in 1864 in Denbighshire, Wales, married a Mr Ben Moorhouse, who was a school master in Willoughby on the Wolds.

Their granddaughter is now getting on somewhat, and her memory is not what it used to be. However, she told me that having borne 9 children, the last 3 born in Willoughby, between 1897 and 1909, Elizabeth died relatively young. Based on other information, the time frame would be approx 1915 to 1920. Apparently her husband had a stained glass window in the church dedicated to her. I  hence assume that she is buried in the Churchyard.

I've looked on Ancestry, FreeBMD and on the NBI, but her death is not recorded there as yet. I have all the census entries for her form 1871 to 1901.

Can anyone tell me who I could contact for finding out :
a) where her grave is
b) how to get a photo of it?

Does anyone know Willoughby at all? according to Genuki, there were only 400 souls there in 1901.

Many thanks,

D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MOORHOUSE - Willoughby on the Wolds
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
This site has a couple of photo's of St. Mary and All Saints Willoughby-on-the Wolds,
http://www.oldnotts.co.uk
And this page has the photo's
http://www.oldnotts.co.uk/churches/willoughby.htm

Hopefully someone will see your message and take the photo's you need.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Steve. It all helps fill in the big picture.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 05 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi D

I have a work colleague who lives at Willoughby. I will ask him if he would oblige. (I thought Willoughby was Leicestershire.) Do you want a picture of the school if it is still there? I will get back to you.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi D

The churchyard was checked and there is no gravestone for Elizabeth Moorhouse.

She died 20.6.1915 aged 52 and her husband Ben died 19.5.1951 aged 90.

Did he marry again as apparently another Elizabeth died in 1965 and is buried with him, there is a headstone (picture to follow).

His son Sidney died 13.12.1945 aged 48. (My friend has the location of the burials and will take a photo if there is a stone).

The window was for Elizabeth (Picture to follow) She was born in Wales and the general location of the burial is thought to be in the far corner of the churchyard, behind the church as you enter, just next to a very scenic field where a few horses are often kept.

My friend is still to take the photos but I will send them as soon as I get them.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi D

Please send me a personal message with your email address. I have loads of photos and information to send to you.

Jane