Author Topic: Karoline MacKenzie m.s. Aamodt  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Karoline MacKenzie m.s. Aamodt
« on: Thursday 27 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters in Norway

I hope you may be able to help me with details for Karoline Aamodt who was born about 1880 in Firda, Norway.  She married Donald MacKenzie in Norway in August 1908.

Any information about her actual date and place of birth and parents would be appreciated.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Karoline MacKenzie m.s. Aamodt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 February 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There's a possible Karoline here in the 1900 census, living in Kristiana as a cook:
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y7q/

and in 1885 with her family:
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y7s/

Birthplace: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flor%C3%B8

Was Donald a mariner? Where do you have the date of their marriage from?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose

Many thanks for picking up my post and responding so quickly.

There is no evidence to support Donald as being a mariner although he and Karoline were, seemingly, married on a boat.  In the 1901 Census Donald was living in Inverness, Scotland and was a butcher's assistant. In the 1911 Census he was living in Kinlochleven, Scotland with Karoline and their first child John born 1909. I don't have his occupation at that time. From another Ancestry Family Tree I discovered he was a furnace foreman in 1938.

The places of birth for three subsequent children, after John, were Firda, Firda and Kristiansund, Norway respectively.  Their remaining four children were all born in Kinlochleven, Scotland.

The information I have for Karoline has been sourced from other trees on Ancestry, with information sourced by a 'professional genealogist', and her place of birth is given as Firda, Norway.  She died in Lewisham, London on 9 June 1963, which I have confirmed from the Probate records on Ancestry.  John predeceased her on 22 December 1955.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her?
This Karoline is born in 1880 in Florø which is very close to Førde (Firde) in Sogn og Fjordane county.

1885: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01053296000298

1900: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01037045146296

Ian

OOPs... just seen that jorose had the same information....sorry about that.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I have found the birth record of this Karoline. She was born 2 Nov 1880 in Kinn, Bru (Svanøy). The record is number 10 on the bottom half of the page.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y82/

Ian

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you mind giving the dates/names for the children born Norway? (If they are now deceased).

On Scotlands People you should be able to find some "minor" indexes which include overseas birth, marriage, and death records for Scottish people.  They are not guaranteed to be listed there, but you might find the marriage or the later births of children that way - that would hopefully give more exact location information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Jorose and Ian

Thanks for your assistance.  I seem to be getting somewhere with this at last!

The link in your message Ian, showing she was born 2 Nov 1880 in Kinn, Bru (Svanøy), didn't work  ???  Perhaps something is missing?

The children born "in Norway" were Donald (b.1910 - d.1975); Kenneth Oscar (b.13 Dec 1912 - d.17 Jun 1976) and Margaret Dorothy (b.1914 - d.1993)

I hope this helps

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
It did work. Sorry about that. Try this link.... http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_id=6904 and open year 1880 in births and then type in 58 at the top instead of page 52.

Ian

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ian

It worked this time.  I wish I had a better knowledge of Norway and Norwegian - even getting the page translated  :-\

Seeing a brother "Olaf" listed in the 1885 Census sort of confirms things as Karoline and Donald named their fourth son "Olav".

I'm going to the ScotlandsPeople Centre in March and will do some searches there, but the family dispersed UK and worldwide and Donald and Karoline both died in Lewisham, London.

Regards

Chiad Fhear