Author Topic: Dyble Family of Bury St. Edmunds Search Advice  (Read 4703 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dyble Family of Bury St. Edmunds Search Advice
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dyblega,

Regarding your comment , I quote "Thank you for the reply.  No.  I know at some point it changed to Dyble, but I assumed it was much earlier.  I will give Dibble a search for this timeframe.  Thank you.  Was this common to be born with one version of a name and change it to another version during someone's life?"

Here's how my Theobald 4 X great grandfather's surname spelling changed.

He was baptised at Chelmsford as William Tibbles in 1776, when he married at Stebbing in 1802 he was William Tibbel, he and his wife baptised 13 children at Stebbing:-

1st child Tibbold.
2nd Theobald.
next 4 Tibbold.
next 6 Tibbald

William's only grandchild George was born with the surname Theobald.

The odd thing is that in a Theobald family bible George's wife (had a beautiful handwriting style) recorded all those generations as Tibbles.

The above example is probably an extreme example but it does give an idea how name spellings can vary, or as a family member said "mucked about".  Whatever variables you come up with for Dyble, don't be afraid to add the letter S to them as well and as a last resort try an e after D.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dyblega,

Regarding your comment , I quote "Thank you for the reply.  No.  I know at some point it changed to Dyble, but I assumed it was much earlier.  I will give Dibble a search for this timeframe.  Thank you.  Was this common to be born with one version of a name and change it to another version during someone's life?"

He was baptised at Chelmsford Essex as William Tibbles in 1776, when he married at Stebbing Esex in 1802 he was William Tibbel, he and his wife baptised 13 children at Stebbing:-

1st child Tibbold.
2nd Theobald.
next 4 Tibbold.
next 6 Tibbald

The odd thing is that in a Theobald family bible George's wife (had a beautiful handwriting style) recorded all those generations as Tibbles.

The above example is probably an extreme example but it does give an idea how name spellings can vary, or as a family member said "mucked about".  Whatever variables you come up with for Dyble, don't be afraid to add the letter S to them as well and as a last resort try an e after D.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dyblega,

He was baptised at Chelmsford as William Tibbles in 1776, when he married at Stebbing in 1802 he was William Tibbel, he and his wife baptised 13 children at Stebbing:-

1st child Tibbold.
2nd Theobald.
next 4 Tibbold.
next 6 Tibbald

Regards.

Thank you that's interesting to see so many variations of a last name in just three generations.  Up until the earlier reply from Pejic, I hadn't put much emphasis on searching other variations of the name Dyble.  I knew they occurred, but I thought it would have been hundreds of years earlier. 

I really appreciate all the help everyone has provided!  I will make an update if I am able to find any leads using the information provided.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 14 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I think it 99.9% certain that Robert and Isabella were your John's parents.   I'm pretty sure that parish records for St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds are nigh on non-existent for this period as regards to being online.

I note that your tree shows 4 children to Robert and Isabella and the only baptism that shows up online is daughter Sophia in 1814 who is listed with the surname Dibble.

Have found the marriage of Robert and Isabella:

Robert Dible and Isabella Houghton married 19/1/1808 Shropham, Norfolk - you can view the original record on familysearch - both single and of that parish.   Unusually for the time, they both signed the record.

Decided to look at the parish records for Shropham in case John may have been baptised there before they made the move to Suffolk - not there.   However, I did find the baptism of twins born shortly after they married:

Sophia, dau. of Robt. & Isabella Dible (late Houghton) b.28/3/1808, bp.30/3/1808.
Mary Ann,                         ditto

Sophia Dible, aged 1 week, buried 8/4/1808 Shropham
Mary Ann Dible, aged 5 weeks, buried 5/5/1808 Shropham

So, it looks like Robert and Isabella were from Norfolk.   Whether they were from Shropham or just living there at the time is, of course, unknown.   As far as I can tell, most early records for Shropham have not been transcribed online but you can view the original records on familysearch.org.  A small parish so not many pages to look through.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I think it 99.9% certain that Robert and Isabella were your John's parents.   I'm pretty sure that parish records for St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds are nigh on non-existent for this period as regards to being online.

I note that your tree shows 4 children to Robert and Isabella and the only baptism that shows up online is daughter Sophia in 1814 who is listed with the surname Dibble.

Have found the marriage of Robert and Isabella:

Robert Dible and Isabella Houghton married 19/1/1808 Shropham, Norfolk - you can view the original record on familysearch - both single and of that parish.   Unusually for the time, they both signed the record.

Decided to look at the parish records for Shropham in case John may have been baptised there before they made the move to Suffolk - not there.   However, I did find the baptism of twins born shortly after they married:

Sophia, dau. of Robt. & Isabella Dible (late Houghton) b.28/3/1808, bp.30/3/1808.
Mary Ann,                         ditto

Sophia Dible, aged 1 week, buried 8/4/1808 Shropham
Mary Ann Dible, aged 5 weeks, buried 5/5/1808 Shropham

So, it looks like Robert and Isabella were from Norfolk.   Whether they were from Shropham or just living there at the time is, of course, unknown.   As far as I can tell, most early records for Shropham have not been transcribed online but you can view the original records on familysearch.org.  A small parish so not many pages to look through.

Annette

Annette,

First off, thank you for all the information.  I am going through and updating all the information I have.  Again it appears I overlooked the importance of variations of spelling of the name Dyble.  Thank you to everyone for providing this insight!

I would love to find one record that has John Dyble connected to Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton, but the fact that you provided information on them in Shropham, Norfolk and I have proof of them having their son George being Baptized at St. Mary's in Bury St. Edmunds on 23 April 1819 (shortly after Robert died in Sept. 1818, he must have died while Isabella was pregnant with George).  This makes me more confident that these are indeed the parents of my GGG Grandfather John Dyble.

I have found the record of Robert and Isabella's marriage on familysearch.org.  Could I ask one more favor?  Can you tell me how you know they both signed it?  I see some records that have a camera icon, which allows you to go to another site and view the record.  I do not see that with the marriage record.

Thank you again for all your help!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:25 GMT (UK) »
If you scroll down on the main search page on familysearch you'll come to 'Browse All Published Collections' - click on United Kingdom and Ireland.   On page that comes up scroll down to 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900'.   Click on that and on next page scroll down to View Images in this Collection and underneath that - highlighted in red - is 'Browse through 293,422 images'.   Click on that and it will bring up an A-Z listing of the parishes in Norfolk that have been done.   Scroll down to Shropham and it brings up what's available and off you go.   This will enable you to view the original parish records.   If they hadn't signed it would have a 'X' and would state his or her mark.

Norfolk is one of the few counties that have this facility.

As I mentioned before, apart from some isolated entries I don't think St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds baptisms are fully listed online and a search would have to be made of the original records held at the record office.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
If you scroll down on the main search page on familysearch you'll come to 'Browse All Published Collections' - click on United Kingdom and Ireland.   On page that comes up scroll down to 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900'.   Click on that and on next page scroll down to View Images in this Collection and underneath that - highlighted in red - is 'Browse through 293,422 images'.   Click on that and it will bring up an A-Z listing of the parishes in Norfolk that have been done.   Scroll down to Shropham and it brings up what's available and off you go.   This will enable you to view the original parish records.   If they hadn't signed it would have a 'X' and would state his or her mark.

Norfolk is one of the few counties that have this facility.

As I mentioned before, apart from some isolated entries I don't think St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds baptisms are fully listed online and a search would have to be made of the original records held at the record office.   

Annette

Unbelievable.  That is amazing to see the signature of (very possibly) my GGGG Grandparents.  Seeing he spelled his name Dible not Dyble and knowing for sure that it was his generation that left Norfolk for Suffolk.  I knew my family originated from Norfolk as this is where all Dyble's originated from in England, but it is cool to see when it happened.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.  I appreciate your help and the help of others immensely!

Offline Dybleka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 November 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham:

I have family history for Dyble that was researched by John Dennis Dyble.  A name variation he noted is Dyball.

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 November 16 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dybleka,

Thank you for that information.  In my searches I have seen that myself.  My third great grandfather's brother George Dyball, who I believe was born in Bury St. Edmunds had this spelling.  Any chance your line has any ties to Bury St. Edmunds?