Author Topic: Marriages for Gibson Wake b 1857 Bishop Wearmouth  (Read 2850 times)

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages for Gibson Wake b 1857 Bishop Wearmouth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 May 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the many suggestions here. We are fine tuning a bit now.

The preferred grandparents  are now Joseph Maclaran glass  maker and Christiana Pearson. We have found Maggie Cook b 1864 Durham, in North Leith Scotland in 1881 with widowed Grandma, brothers William m Catherine, and Alexander Cook, married aunt Elizabeth Tolman/ Pullman and husband Samuel Tolman/Pullman, and niece Christiana. Now trying to find her in 1871 as her brothers were with their grandparents but not Margaret.

The parents would seem to be William Cook (sail maker) b1813 Bishop Wearmouth and Margaret Maclaran b1835 Gateshead.m 1852 Sunderland  (awaiting appropriate B C  from Sunderland RO) but they never have any children with them in the censuses.

We are now  wondering, looking at the William  Swinhoe (sail maker)  / Margaret Cook marriage  1870 mentioned above, if Maggie Cook b1864 Sunderland might actually be Margaret Cooks niece not daughter, and they are actually just  caring for her. Proving Margaret Cook b1835 is William Cooks b1813 sister or at least relative,  is maybe the next challenge.

The grey matter is stretching today. :-\

Thank you all

JaneM46

Offline andrea1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane my Great Grandparents were Gibson Wake b 1859 and Margaret Cook  b 1865  married on the 25th February 1884 .We had family tree made for us and apparently they could not find any information on Margaret apart from her father's  name William Cook .My two times great grandparents were Thomas Wake and Margaret McClaskin married on April 27th 1845 but we are not totally sure whether her surname is correct .I know you posted along time ago but I am new to this page  :)

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 October 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea. It is several years now since I worked on this tree on behalf of a friend. This couple were her grandparents though and she did remember  her grandmother from her childhood. Please could you email me to Removed and I will try to put you in touch . Her maiden name was McBain.
Regards Jane Milne

Moderator comment: Email address removed in accordance with RootsChat policies.

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline andrea1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
They have removed your email address so I will be unable to contact you sorry .

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 21 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi andrea1

You can now use the personal message system to exchange your email addresses.

https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 October 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea
I hope you received my reply to this re explaining the back ground to my research. I am sorry but I cant work out this messaging system so if we cant use emails I dont know how I can help you. I would love to be able to put you in contact with my friend whose tree it is, and I am sure she would also be thrilled to find out more about her grandmother, but it seems this system will not allow it.
I can only apologise.
Best Wishes
Jane Milne

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 October 21 04:56 BST (UK) »
Gibson Wake married Margaret Cook 1884 (as already stated) - she was daughter of William Cook.

Her birth entry Margaret Cook Mar.qtr.1864 Sunderland - mothers maiden name McLaren.

William Cook aged 38, son of Thomas, married Margaret McLaren 31/12/1852 Bishopwearmouth.   Margaret McLaren shown aged 22, dau. of Joseph (however, according to earlier census Margaret born ca.1835, not 1830).   Joseph McLaren was a bottle maker.   So, William Cook many years older than wife Margaret McLaren and and he was a widower when they married.

Joseph McLaren married Christina Pearson in 1829 South Leith, Midlothian (both born in Scotland).  Son Alexander born 1830 Alloa, Clackmannanshire and then family moved to Durham where further children born including dau. Margaret McLaren bc.1835.

Gibson Wake's birth Jun.qtr.1857 Sunderland, mothers maiden name Cook (just to make things a little more confusing).   He was son of Thomas Wake who'd married Margaret McClaskin 1845 - she was a widow, maiden name Cook.  Indeed, both shown as widowed.

Margaret Cook had married a a William MackGlashon 2/10/1836 Monkwearmouth.

So Cook's on both sides of the family.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 October 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
It should be quick and easy to use the personal message system.

To send a message: Please click on the clipboard type icon under the members profile picture to open the message system, in this image mine glows green because I am currently online. If the icon isn't green, the other person is offline.

Type your message and click send.

The recipient will get an email notification there is a message waiting to be read.

Hope this helps
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea