Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up HOPKINS  (Read 6862 times)

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census look-up HOPKINS
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
can anyone find a JAMES HOPKINS in 1841 SOM census please
He was born <1836 in Ilminster his father was ABEL Hopkins.
I bought a copy of the census from Archive CD books bit the quality is SO bad that most of the pages are totally illegible and some appear blank because they are so grey, not recommended.
Thanks
Nicki
James (Swansea) Clymow (Cornwall) Winstone (South Glos) Hopkins (Somerset) Clark (Butcombe Somerset) Gibbons (Limerick) Carroll (Dublin) Archer (Ireland) Knapp (Bristol plus 1 transported Australia)

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up HOPKINS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have found James aged 4 living in Chard with a Levi Hopkins.
As far as I know this is the only one in Somerset of the right age.....no sign of his father.
If anyone comes across an Abel Hopkins born abt 1810 give me a shout  :)
He doesn't seem to exist..........very frustrating
James (Swansea) Clymow (Cornwall) Winstone (South Glos) Hopkins (Somerset) Clark (Butcombe Somerset) Gibbons (Limerick) Carroll (Dublin) Archer (Ireland) Knapp (Bristol plus 1 transported Australia)

Offline spcleary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I have the 1911 census record for HOPKINS living in Chard. It shows Esau Hopkins as the father with Elizabeth as the mother and a child Helena Hopkins(36) who was the daughter of Esau (71) and Elizabeth (69). Helena is listed as single although there is a grandaughter Beatrice Cora Wright-Hopkins (14) who also lived at the address 7 Clarke Row, East Street, Chard in Somerset.

I am looking for family members of Hopkins still alive today. Please contact me if you have any details.
CLEARY

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
My Hopkins branch, I now believe that Levi was James' father I have since found a copy of the 1841 census and in the 1851 the family were in the workhouse in Chard......in 1861 Levi had moved to Bristol, James was in the Navy, in 1871 James was also living in bristol.

Can I provide anymore info?

Offline spcleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Esau and Elizabeth - they had many children as per the 1891 census. They were Henry (25) Fred (17) Martha (13) Charles (11) Tom (7) Frank (5) and Ben (5) possibly twins.  I am looking for the blood relatives alive today ideally of Ben. I know that Ben fought in the 1st World War in the Somerset Light Infantry.  I see that Esau died in 1924. Are you saying that you are a relative of the Hopkins ?
CLEARY

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes James is my gt gt gt grandfather, his son Albert edward = Dau Clara Hopkins = Dau Clara Archer
All from Bristol

Offline spcleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow .. this is great info. Do you know of any other family members related to Ben Hopkins directly ?  The reason for asking is that I have acquired some medals from the 1st World War that were awarded to Ben Hopkins and ideally I would like them to find their way back into his family.  I am saddened that someone would have sold them in the first place, but it could be that it was due to a house clearance or something and there were no "linked" relatives. I would just rather the medals went back into the family rather then get sold on to someone who would not appreciate them.
CLEARY

Offline langtry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 July 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
I too am interested in the Hopkins from Chard. I have two on my family tree,and would love to know more about them.
I have Elsie May Hopkins born Chard circa 1900 and Ida Kate Hopkins born 1887 Chard.
Any information appreciated, thanks.
langtry
Researching--BOYLAND.
Area's---Portsmouth,Southamptom,Dorset,Devon,Somerset.

Offline kevinjford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 February 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Esau & Elizabeth would have been my Great, Great Grand Parents on my Mother's side. Does anyone have anymore information or certificates that can be shared? Did they have a child called Mary Ann?