Author Topic: Man with a cross-stich shirt.  (Read 2793 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Man with a cross-stich shirt.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 March 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
OR and greensleeves - i was just about to post the same thing -  I agree that this chap certainly has a nautical look to him.
Might his sweater bear the name of a ship he worked on?

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the thoughts on the photo. It doesn't make it any clearer who he could be unfortunately. But will help if I come across a family member with links to boating perhaps.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
The visible embroidery looks like it could be "VA" and as the previous letter only has it's "foot" showing, I'm guessing that it could be an "R" = "RVA"

I see there was (and still is) a "Harvard Yacht Club"/"Harvard Sailing Club" but that's an American club.

However, on the website of the National Library of Australia I searched for "Harvard" on Trove and came up with over 2,000 results - mainly concerning sailing competitions.  Surprisingly in some Sidney newspapers of the 1880s there are adverts/auctions for Harvard clothing.  This might indicate that your young man could have had an eye for fashion and not necessarily belonged to a sailing club.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=Harvard+yacht+club&sortby=dateAsc&s=120
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Man with a cross-stich shirt. COMPLETED
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 January 24 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. Just an update for anyone who may have a similar photo and be interested. I found out that it was a Salvation Army jumper. This helped me identify the man in the photo - turns out to be a family friend not ancestor!
Similar/same jumper: https://issuu.com/salvationarmynzftsheritage/docs/salvation_army_uniform_portraits_heritage_series_1

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 January 24 07:48 GMT (UK) »
SPENCE William Morrison
Listed as a photographer at 101A Rundle Street, Adelaide, in the directory for 1894, and at Wivell’s Academy in Rundle Place for 1895. From 1882 to 1893, and from 1896 to 1900, his occupation was given as artist at various addresses in Adelaide and suburbs, and he may have practised photography in these periods.

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Truth will out....even after 10 years!
Well done on solving your own problem!
Rebel

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Photo taken in Queensland. Sitter was born in 1860.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:34 GMT (UK) »
What a great result, just goes to show that we should never give up on a problem.  :D Must say, I would never have thought of Salvation Army, though it's obvious when you know.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 January 24 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Well found Katharine!  :)