Author Topic: Richard Ellis, Amlwch/Holyhead Policeman 1850s  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Backintime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Ellis, Amlwch/Holyhead Policeman 1850s
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Richard Ellis was a police officer in London from c1840 and then resurfaced as the Police Officer in Amlwch in 1846. Over the next ten years or so, he was recorded as living at the Police Station in Wesley Street or the Lockuphouse, Rhos. He and his family next appear in the 1861 census where Richard is shown as the Police Inspector living at the Lockuphouse, Newry Street, Holyhead. He disappears after 1865 before re-emerging in Birkenhead in 1870, although I have still to trace them in the 1871 census. Richard and his wife lived out the remainder of their lives in Birkenhead.

The History of the Anglesey Constabulary records Richard Ellis as a Police Inspector in Holyhead from 1 July 1857 and then at Menai Bridge from 25 June 1881. The entry for Holyhead ties in with the 1861 census but that for Menai Bridge cannot relate to the same man as he would have been 61 or 62 at the time and living in Birkenhead; unless, of course, I am barking up the wrong tree or there were two Inspector Richard Ellis'.

It has so far proved impossible to find records of birth for Richard or his wife Sarah with any degree of certainty. That is my brick wall and I would be pleased to hear from anyone who might have further information.

John Ellis

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Ellis, Amlwch/Holyhead Policeman 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)