Author Topic: Looking for my Grandad Frank Horton of Edge Hill  (Read 16654 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandad
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the person with the tree with the date of birth on it? They certainly think your Frank was from Staffordshire. If this was me I would fork out £42 to get the NHS 1939 Register people to do a name based search rather than address on the name Frank Horton and include possible whereabouts and possible date of birth. Knowing Frank though he may not have given his correct date of birth for this record!

Blue

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks £42 would be a bargain!! 

What info do you get from the NHS register?

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:48 GMT (UK) »
It's on the link Rob. They send you a letter containing the information for the person and other people living with them if they are now deceased:-

What data will be provided?
Data will be provided only where the individual is recorded as deceased (or where clear evidence of death can be provided by the applicant) and will include;

National Registration number
Address
Surname
First Forename
Other Forename(s)/Initial(s)
Date of Birth
Sex
Marital Status
Occupation

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/register-service

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The person with the date of birth on their tree must be related to you Rob they are also a grandson of Frank Horton:-

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.horton/3196/mb.ashx

Blue

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Just a couple of observations:

The two Franks from both marriages, we now know is the  same person  :)
It is his origins that is the problem.

The Catholic ceremony gives Frank's mother as Ann Baker.
On his second marriage, what was his father's occupation?

The other tree that I can see has photos of Frank.
Is the owner of that tree assuming or do they know Frank's history?
Frank on the trees is born Walsall. He is not born 1898 in a Birmingham.

There is a WW 1 death of a a Frank Horton, Walsall but unfortunately, no other details. There is a Frank of a similar age so it could be that one.

He was in Liverpool, so that may be the mistaken connection.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
There are births for Edna 1916 and Frank 1917

What was Frank's occupation?

I am wondering if these births would help confirm any Army service.

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 April 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Really stuck trying to find my GrandFather Frank Horton. I have posted here before, have a fairly comprehensive tree on Ancestry (look for 1_rob207) I have given him a mother & father, that is my best guess but nothing is certain and I'm pretty stuck now.

Various documents give different information. ie 1st marriage to Elizabeth mcArdle in 1915 says his fathers name was Walter (deceased) & mothers name is Mary Ann Baker. His WW1 enlistment says his fathers name was George. 2nd Marriage in Eton, 1939 to Edith Claydon/Jones says his fathers name is William. Possibly he didnt know his father and possibly he was lying for some reason.

I haven't made a mistake with the documents. It's definately the same Frank horton on all of these records.
His DoB is Oct 1891 (My guess) Dec 1891 (WW1 record) or Sept 1892 (NHS Survey) & 1898 (his death cert from 1949 said he was 51 when he died)

Currently I believe he was born in Walsall on 12/10/1891 with a mother Mary Ann Baker and Father William Horton. He has his mothers name down as Mary Ann Baker on 1st marriage and father is william on his second marriage, so there is a fair chance its this family that I'm looking for.

However the fly in the ointment is his WW1 record where he states his place of birth as Edge Hill, Liverpool. And I cant find any Frank Hortons born in Liverpool in that time. Why would a young man lie about his place of birth to a recruiting officer?

I know he lived at 23, Harbord St Liverpool in 1914 until at least 1923 so i know he was around Liverpool at that sort of time.

Does anyone know what documents have place of birth on them aside from Birth Certs? If I can find out for certain that he was born in Liverpool, that would be a good start!

Anecdotally, my aunt tells me Frank had a brother called Ike (issac? or dwight?) Perhaps he came from the US? There has been rumours of us having US blood, but how to prove that? I can see a Frank Horton on a incoming passenger list from 1913, which would fit the bill, but how to prove it is him?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #43 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
He has his mothers name down as Mary Ann Baker on 1st marriage and father is william on his second marriage, so there is a fair chance its this family that I'm looking for.

Where did he marry as English marriage certs do not show mothers names
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #44 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
1st marriage was in Widnes (St Ambrose Church) in 1915, but the catholic ceremony in St Annes, Liverpool in 1919 has his mothers name (anne baker) written on it.