Author Topic: Looking for my Grandad Frank Horton of Edge Hill  (Read 16656 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #45 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
A very long previous thread here

topics now merged ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #46 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Yes I have posted before. Ive made a little progress and my main question is to what documents would give me an indication of ones birth place.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandad Frank Horton of Edge Hill
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
I think you'll have to wait for the 1921 Census for further birth place information. Did you have any luck messaging on Ancestry?

Blue

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 April 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
I have spent sometime looking at this, I too am interested in the surname HORTON, Staffs/ Derby/ Lancs /Ches!

The 1919 Catholic marriage entry I consider holds the clue. In declaring that Frank's parents were Walter & Ann HORTON nee BAKER, this last surname cannot have been plucked out of the air, it had to be known.....strange that there is also a marriage of a Mary Ann BAKER to a WIlliam HORTON, I think confirms that Frank was born in Walsall. Maybe mother called him Walter!

If you look at freebmd.org.uk you will find a Isaac HORTON b 1875 d 1876, this could be the child referred to !

As regards supporting Liverpool, my female neighbour of 90 welsh born never been near Liverpool also supports them!

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 20 April 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
Ah. Hello. Maybe we can help each other!!

I have the Walsall line in my tree as it's the most likely - a lot of the info matches up & I've followed that Horton line quite closely.

But I don't understand why Frank Horton would have put his place of birth as Edge Hill in his enlistment in 1914? His dads name is George in the same document, then its Walter in his 1915 marriage cert? Then finally william when re re-marries in 1915.

In some ways I can put the first marriage cert as a clerical error. Frank puts his address as William Street and fathers name as Walter. Well the church he married in was in William Street and Walter street is just around the corner. So maybe he told the registrar and that info got mixed up.

I have ordered his war pension record from 1915-1919 as he re-enlisted during that period and maybe that will shed some light.

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 20 April 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
oh and we had anecdotal evidence that Isaac Horton lived iN Cheshire and was a football referee.

But I have a LOT of anecdotal evidence!!

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
Also I think the walter/william thing could also be explained, as you suggest, by it being a family name.

However, the name given as Franks father in 1914 enlistment was George. Which throws me off completely.

I presume one of two things. Either Frank didnt know who his parents were or he was trying to cover his tracks from someone or something?

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 20 April 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Regarding ordering pension record. A lot of WW1 records were destroyed if the record is not already online it may have been destroyed. Do you know for sure the record still exists?

Blue

Offline robjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 20 April 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
I've been informed there are some held in a private location at the Western Front Association. Not sure whether I'm going to get anything back.

We've got a service card - with a regimental number - so I'll have to see if they find anything else.

Rob