Author Topic: Looking for my Grandad Frank Horton of Edge Hill  (Read 16657 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandad
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the original post Frank Horton married Elizabeth McArdle in 1915 and died in 1949. If that is correct it would rule out the Frank Horton born 7th March 1900 with father Isaac.

Andy

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
We need to find a brother for Frank called Isaac (Ike) my one has one so is still worth considering.

Blue

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 02:02 GMT (UK) »
We need to find a brother for Frank called Isaac (Ike) my one has one so is still worth considering.

Blue

But the parents of Frank/Francis Horton who married Elizabeth McArdle are given as Walter Horton & Anne Baker????

Then at the 1949 marriage his father is given as William????????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Then at the 1949 marriage his father is given as William????????
Suz

1939 Suz.  ;)

I wonder if Frank being born in Liverpool is incorrect, as there doesn't appear to be an obvious Frank/Francis of around the right age with father Walter/William in the 1901 census. They may be hidden behind a mistranscription somewhere or perhaps they were living elsewhere.  :-\

As we know, ages given at death are more likely to be incorrect, so I would like to know how old he says he is when he marries. Perhaps we can then get a better estimation of his year of birth?  :-\

I think it is quite possible that the family Blue found, may be related to rob's family due to similarity of names.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if the brother Isaac was older or younger than Frank?

I have found a Houghton family living in Warrington in 1901 with father William H and mother Mary A. There is also a Houghton family in Widnes with father William C. mother Elizabeth and Frank E.G. (did your Frank have any middle names?  :-\)

Neither have son Isaac in 1901. There are a couple of other possibilities with surname spelled Houghton.

Further investigation of each of them might help work out if one is your family?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Frank in the 1911 census? I have tried searching the censuses for Fra* Ho*ton, b Lancs, 1894, +/- 5 years, and have a few results though unsure if any might be your Frank.

Knowing his age, occupation and his father's occupation may help narrow him down ... though of course by 1911 he may no longer be living at home.

Still unable to find an Isaac. Is Frank having a brother Isaac a family story? Do you have any idea of year of birth? Did he live to adulthood?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello rob and everyone,
There are documented trees published which have Frank here:

1901 2702/ 35/ 6

Frantz Horton 11 yrs b Walsall, Staffordshire -several siblings but no Ike.
Parents are William and Mary Ann. The trees show her as Mary Ann Baker.

He is Frank in another census.

One tree has him born 1891 which tallies with census, the other born 1898 but still quoting same census.

Frank's first marriage certificate has been posted which shows both Frank and Walter (deceased) as labourers.
William Horton is a lock maker and Licensed Victualler  :-\

Regards
Heywood

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It'll be a weird coincidence if the Frank Horton born in Liverpool in 1900 with a father called Isaac and a brother called William Isaac turns out to be wrong. How many Frank Hortons with a brother called Isaac can there be? The reason I posted all those baptisms was in case the names of the other siblings rang a bell.

Blue

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
The trees have certificates and photos which link to Frank in Staffordshire not Liverpool.
There seem to be some complications in the family with links to Liverpool but not at time of Frank's birth.
Ike is mentioned as a sibling but no dates. Some members seem to be known by other names, so perhaps Ike was a nickname.