Author Topic: Joseph Watson born Aberdeen 1809  (Read 14886 times)

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Watson born Aberdeen 1809
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Just checked Familysearch and George Christie married Margaret Dingwell in 1864. Dundee Angus. And in 1841 he was a powerloomn weaver so the death cert  could be the one  we need.??
Do I go for the death cert or this marriage cert?:?

What was I on about I`d done the death cert above- noe I`ve done that marriage cert-:

Just says he was a widower, provision store dealer, parents James Christie, sawyer and Margaret Gow. . Witness Andrew Cobb??

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
You could view the new marriage cert to Margaret Dingwell...but sounds like you have his death in 1870. Although it sounds like son Andrew made a mistake with his grandmother's first name reporting it as Margaret Gow rather than Helen maybe? The new marriage cert in 1864 with info by George himself might help clear that up.

There is a death on SP in 1860 in Montrose for a Margaret Cobb/Christie. Explains why George Christie showed as living alone with daughter and son in 1861. From before:

George Christie 62 Provision Dealer b. Arbroath, Forfarshire
Mary Ann Christie 18 daughter
Robert Christie 16 son

Address: 39 E Castle St, Montrose

Monica

Added: Sorry, missed the last bit to your last post. Yep sounds the right entry for George. What name did he give for his mother? Still Margaret?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Checked 1851 census for James and Helen - I still think it says born  Aberdeenshire Aberdeen but it could  perhaps be Maude??????????

Why not post an extract from it so we can all have a look?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Forfarian that would be a good idea but I am not that computerised and is is allowed?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Forfarian that would be a good idea but I am not that computerised and is is allowed?

It's allowed as long as you only post a small part of it, not the whole entry.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 March 14 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. It certainly looks like Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 March 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
It does indeed  :) Why it always pays to look at original sources where possible.

Where now....?! We are still stuck on names of Joseph and James' mother. Father George for James, we think we have him now in Montrose?

With Joseph Watson, maybe following up on parents of Janet Watson/Robbie might provide some clues.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 March 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
George Christie died 10 April 1870 Montrose Angus.
Married to Margaret Dingwell
Linen Factory Powerloom Overseer
Parents James Christie dec. sawyer and Margaret Gow
Residence Townhead, Montrose
Informant son Andrew Christie
Age 72
Just got this from the death cert -hope it may be of use to someone else.

Rats! It should have named both previous wives, which would have solved the question of Joseph's mother's name. I am surprised that Andrew didn't even list the name of his own mother.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 March 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I removed the census image as it was a whole entry & not just a part. It served it 's purpose though :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.