Author Topic: Ancestry "new search" disaster part 1  (Read 40428 times)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry "new search" disaster
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I have recently wondered how much they paid the person that dreamed up the new, and virtually useless search boxes   ::)

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
One feature that is annoying is that in the case of England & Wales Marriages post 1916 they are still not putting the Marriages in terms of earliest first.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have dreaded this day having seen Ancestry's previous "new search" disaster and I was right - it's another disaster.  Very cumbersome and not at all user friendly. 

You also now appear to have to search random census entries on a page by page basis whereas previously - you could skip several pages (eg)

Because of possible mis-transcription of a surname beginning with M - I have just been searching the 1871 Scottish census for John b 1858 plus or minus 2yrs with a birthplace of Ireland living in Lanarkshire.  It threw up 429 possibles

Previously - that would have been presented as 9 pages - 50 entries per full page plus remainder

I would have then just selected page 4 or thereabouts to get to the M entries

Not now - you get shown page 1 and 2 and then "next" at the bottom of the search so have to scroll on a page by page basis.

I just do not believe that only 2% of members were using old search.  How many posts have we had from members who were having problems with the previous "new search" and were directed to "old search" and found it so much easier.

I don't know whether it's just me but I am also finding it very slow and images are not loading properly.  They apear "fuzzy" and then clear a bit at a time
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether it's just me but I am also finding it very slow and images are not loading properly.  They apear "fuzzy" and then clear a bit at a time

It had been doing that for me for weeks. It then told me to go to the enhanced search, which I did but that was no better. I then got a pop up saying something like, "Whoops we seem to have hit a problem, please try basic search." However today, it appears to have sorted itself out.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi again all, has anyone yet found any new found benefits using this "New Search" as some will know I am a FindMyPast fan and the comments & concerns depicted so far would suggest I am correct in my thoughts of cancelling sub to Ancestry, although I await the doom laden E mail that I am on the "New site" for FindMyPast!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »

It had been doing that for me for weeks. It then told me to go to the enhanced search, which I did but that was no better. I then got a pop up saying something like, "Whoops we seem to have hit a problem, please try basic search." However today, it appears to have sorted itself out.

It hadn't for me about 5 mins ago  ::)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »

Annoyingly I've been getting emails offering me the chance to try the new FindMyPast but when I log in I get the same old site  ???

After signing in, right up the top there is wording "The new findmypast is coming" and you are given the chance to experience what it is offering by joining the queue when you click on more.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »

Annoyingly I've been getting emails offering me the chance to try the new FindMyPast but when I log in I get the same old site  ???

After signing in, right up the top there is wording "The new findmypast is coming" and you are given the chance to experience what it is offering by joining the queue when you click on more.

Cheers
KHP

I did that a few weeks ago but nothing happened. The e-mail takes you to a new looking page (with 'new' in the web address) but as soon as you log in you get the old home page  ::).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I think the recently added British India Office collection shows you what to expect from the new site.  There is a keyword box so you can add a spouse's name or parent's names, which is definitely an improvement over the old site.  That said, though, they've "tweaked" the new viewer since the collection was first released, and it takes a while for the images to appear.  While on the old site, you'd get the "clock" appearing to show how much it had loaded, on the "new" site, it just stays black until the image appears. ::)  Having said that, if the search form has been amended so you can add parents/spouse details for baptisms, marriages, etc (not the GRO indexes, but for parish records), then that is a considerable improvement and I'll live with the delay with the viewer. ;)  It seems to me a complete waste of time volunteering to be one of the first as they appear to just be ignoring the requests.

I "signed up" for the new site at the end of January when the first emails were sent, yet I am still on the old site.  There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason about whose moved when and FindMyPast have ignored my comment, and another person's, about this on their Facebook page. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day