Author Topic: GENTRY Edwin & Mary & Family - Hamilton, Ontario  (Read 2316 times)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
GENTRY Edwin & Mary & Family - Hamilton, Ontario
« on: Friday 07 March 14 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys.

Trying to find info on Edwin Gentry and Mary nee Vautin. Any info on a possible marriage, the births of their 7 children Edwin, Claude, Charles, Davis, Ida, Jessie and Herbert who were all born between 1853 and 1863 as well as possible deaths of Edwin the husband and two children Davis and Ida. The 1861 census shows all the children born in Hamilton, Ontario.

From the 1900 USA census returns, the family appears to have returned to NY City circa 1864 but there is no trace of Edwin snr or the two children.

Are there any online newspapers anywhere? Any online BDM records? Or kindly souls who may be able to check official records!

Thanks in advance

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: GENTRY Edwin & Mary & Family - Hamilton, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick glance but Ida appears to be showing with Mother Mary and siblings Chas, Jessie and Herbert on the 1880 US Census. The 1910 census says Mother Mary had 6 children and 5 survive.

1880 Brooklyn, Kings, New York.

Mary Gentry  46 Head. Widowed. Music Teacher.
Ida Gentry  25 Born Canada 1855. Collector.
Chas. Gentry  21 Born Canada. Machinist.
Jessie Gentry  20 Born Canada. Clerk.
Herbert Gentry  17 Born Canada. Drug. Clerk.

Perhaps Ida was married by 1900  ??? She doesn't appear to show on the Greenwood Cemetery List under Gentry - which is where her Mother Mary Vautin Gentry and others are listed. Brief Death Notice for Mary in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - Monday 21 st November 1927 - but no funeral or family details.

http://www.green-wood.com/burial_results/index.php

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ych/

So it looks as if the death of Edwin was between 1861 - 1868

Brooklyn, New York, City Directory, 1868 shows Mary wid - 18th N 9th Ave

Brooklyn, New York, City Directory, 1870 shows Mary wid - 18th N 8th Ave

Brooklyn, New York, City Directory, 1876 shows Mary wid - 420 18th

Brooklyn, New York, City Directory, 1880 shows Mary - wid Edwin - 232 17th

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There is an article in the Buffalo Express - Monday Morning 1 st November 1897 which has the heading "Inquiry into the Conl?y Case" - refers to the body of an Ida Gentry in the brief transcription  ??? The writing is just about unreadable (at least to my eyes) perhaps someone else can find other info to either confirm or discount this Ida Conl?y/Gentle person.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

The civil registrations in Canada didn't start till 2 years after confederation in 1867. You may want to look at the Drouin parish records for Ontario for the marriage of Mary and Edwin as well as the birth of their children in Hamilton. Another avenue, if you know the birth dates of the children, is to contact the Hamilton genealogy group and/or the Hamilton public library for a look-up in their newspaper archives in the Hamilton Spectator and other local papers. Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 14 15:43 GMT (UK) »

There is an article in the Buffalo Express - Monday Morning 1 st November 1897 which has the heading "Inquiry into the Conl?y Case" - refers to the body of an Ida Gentry in the brief transcription  ??? The writing is just about unreadable (at least to my eyes) perhaps someone else can find other info to either confirm or discount this Ida Conl?y/Gentle person.

Sandra

After looking at the "fultonhistory.com" website (Buffalow NY 1897), I think it's Ida Conlay, we can discount as an error (my eyes are ruined  :)).)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I found an obit for a David Cathbert Gentry in the Hamilton Evening Times, Tuesday 21 May 1861 issue. David died on 18 May that year at 13 months and is shown as son of Edwin Gentry. I also found a birth of a son, no name given, on the 19th September 1867 of the wife of Edwin Gentry.

I also found Edwin Gentry in several List of Letters in this newspaper. I am now looking for an obit for Edwin and possibly births of more children.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Wed Nov 23 1927
DEATHS

GENTRY - MARY VAUTIN GENTRY, in her 95th year, at her daughter's home, 101, Lingden St, Yonkers, N Y. She leaves two sisters, three sons, Edwin T, Charles H, Herbert O and Jessie G Francis. Relatives and friends are invited to attend services at the chapel in Greenwood Cemetery, at 3pm, Wednesday Nov 23rd. London, England and Australian papers please copy.

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 March 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Some good information here guys. Thanks you.

@ Sandra - I did see the census that showed Mary had 6 children and that 5 were living however I discounted that as being incorrect as there was clearly 5 born in Canada and another two show up on the 1880 census in the USA as also being born in Canada.
I can't locate the Brooklyn New York city directory for 1868 which shows Mary as a widow. Are you able to send the link?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 March 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »

I found an obit for a David Cathbert Gentry in the Hamilton Evening Times, Tuesday 21 May 1861 issue. David died on 18 May that year at 13 months and is shown as son of Edwin Gentry. I also found a birth of a son, no name given, on the 19th September 1867 of the wife of Edwin Gentry.

I also found Edwin Gentry in several List of Letters in this newspaper. I am now looking for an obit for Edwin and possibly births of more children.

JDC
Wow!! Some interesting information that you have found. Is this newspaper searchable online anywhere?
Are you able to send me a link so that I can snip a copy?
The fact that you found another birth opens up a can of worms as that would indicate the birth of another child who would have been 13 at the time of the 1880 census in the USA. As he doesn't show up that would indicate that he perhaps died at an early age.

Jon