Author Topic: Looking for Ann  (Read 5387 times)

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ann
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 March 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you, Dawn.
                             Marg
masson:aberdeen
pollock:ayrshire
Scott:Dorset
Weatherley:hertfordshire
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline Rosemary Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Marg, Ann Healy and Nicol Mercer were my great grandparents. I have also been trying to track the elusive Ann.  Relatives who have since died fed me stories some of which aren't true.  Here goes: Ann arrived in Australia with her 5 elder brothers, she was about 7 and they had been orphaned, th father having been some sort of accountant in Ireland. Ann was fostered by a lord and lady somebody and grew up on the Bogong high plains (location has been proven to be fable as there were no white people there at that time, as to the fostering I don't know). Supposedly the 5 brothers went to Queensland and built the railway there.  My grandfather Alexander Mercer had Healy relatives in Ipswich Queensland the true story of one of these relatives was George Healy who as eldest son went to work for the fire brigade to help support his family after his father died. George however had always wanted to go to University.  He worked his way up to Fire Chief in Ipswich and eventually retired then went to Uni. He ended up with a PHD and wrote history of the Australian Labor party in Queensland. Ann however is still a mystery. The tales I have been told do not seem to match with the arrival in Adelaide that you seem to have found. Regards R.

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosemary. Thank you for getting in touch with me re Ann Healy. So far as I know Ann, Mary, Denis and Daniel Healy and their sisters Ann and Mary came to Australia. I am descended through Daniel.I have heard the story about them going to Queensland and working on the railways,but I an not sure about that. Daniel and Denis both worked for the Railways in Victoria as did my grandfather, Nicholas, son of Daniel, and Daniels other sons
 George Healy was my father's cousin. Son of John . He would have been a great nephew of Ann. He did go to Brisbane and was fire chief there for many years.If you google "George Healy Brisbane" you will find information about him.Also in Trove (Brisbane papers)
Rosemary, you and I are both descendants of Nicholas Healy and Mary Hogan from County Clare, Ireland. That makes us cousins. Nice to "meet" you.
         Regards  Marg
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline Rosemary Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin Marg,  Thank you for the information regarding Ann Healy. and cousin George. I did google him and found that the story I had been fed although mostly true was not quite.
Regards
Rosemary

Offline kippity-wip-wip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello there.
Ann, Mary, Denis & Daniel also had a sister, Catherine (parents Nicholas Healy & Mary Hogan), who came to Australia.
I believe she arrived in 1854, aged 20, with her husband Patrick O'Loughlin.
I have more info if you are interested.
Michael.

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, Michael.
            Thank you for getting in touch with me, Yes please! I would love any  info you have on Catherine. I have never heard any mention of her.
 Look forward to hearing from you.
                            Marg
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline kippity-wip-wip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 April 20 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Marg

The short story…
Catherine ‘Kate’ Healy & Patrick O’Loughlin had one child, Bridget born 3.2.1855, baptised at St Kilian’s Sandhurst/Bendigo a week later.
Patrick died 5 months later.
Catherine remarried, Michael MacKeen/McKean, at St Kilian’s in April 1857.
They had six children between 1858 & 1875… Mary, Anne, John, Thomas, Kate, Nicholas.
Catherine & Michael remained at Bendigo, living at White Hills, for the rest of their lives.
Catherine died in 1907, Michael 1914. They are buried together in the White Hills Cemetery.

*I can find no record of the marriage of Catherine & Patrick O’Loughlin, in Ireland or Australia, so I’m just assuming that they may be the passengers, from Co.Clare, ages 20 & 22, named on the Prince Alfred in Feb 1854.
*I’m assuming also that they are from Ballynahown. The only Nicholas Healy in all of Co. Clare is there, in the early 1830s (Tithe Applotment records). Neighbours of this Nicholas were a couple of O’Loughlins & interestingly enough, a Thomas MacKeen.
Do you have proof/further knowledge to show that our Healys are from Ballynahown?

Michael.

Offline kippity-wip-wip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 April 20 06:42 BST (UK) »

Offline kippity-wip-wip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile