Author Topic: Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.  (Read 3337 times)

Offline brushbroomstick

• RootsChat Senior
  • John William Vickers & Emma Robson my grandparents
    • View Profile
Re: Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I am very curious! I have Rudds from Staindrop - George Rudd 1740 my 4x gr grandfather and wonder if Thomas and Jeronima are related to him.
I would also like to find a birth and a marriage for Thomas and Jeronima as these two are probable ancestors of mine.
Broom(e) - Staffs/Shropshire/ Durham
Burnett - Northumberland & Scottish Borders
Dickson - Scottish Borders/ Northumberland
Henry - Londonderry/ Durham
Morrell - Shropshire
Neale - Norfolk/Northumberland
Powell - Shropshire
Robson - Northumberland/Durham
Stott - Northumberland/Durham
Taylor- Holy Island/Bedlington
Vass- Inverness/ Newcastle/ Durham
Vickers- Cumberland/ Durham

Offline jimmy blue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 April 23 14:41 BST (UK) »
What you should be looking at is Kirk Merrington, not far from Sedgefield in and around the early 1700s.

There are 100s of records for Spanish born people in the area and it's got nothing to do with the Armada.

These people were Calè, spanish-gypsies. I am a descendent of this wave of migration, recently confirmed through genealogy teamwork - thanks to my DNA relative in Spain.

Turns out thousands of spanish-gypsy refugees arrived on British Shores at this time, escaping the inquisition. I don't know, but I think that the lords of the mannor around Spenneymoor, the Salvin's were an uber catholic family and likely granted their Spanish counterparts refuge.

There was another cluster of these families around Wilton, Somerset. They eventually married in with already existing Romanichal families in the UK, in particular County Durham.