Author Topic: showing my ignorance, will, bond  (Read 670 times)

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
showing my ignorance, will, bond
« on: Monday 10 March 14 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Searching the catalogue of the NLW for wills I see that there are wills and there are bonds.  What is a bond?
There is one in particular that interests me.  The gentleman died in 1845 at the New poor house/s Caernarvon.  He is on the 1841 census as being at Poorhouse.
What will the bond show me if I buy a digital copy?
Thanks

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: showing my ignorance, will, bond
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Bonds were a very common legal device. By entering into a bond a person would agree, to carry out their duties properly. If they failed to do this then the penalty was due to the church official concerned. I suppose they would make sure that they did not have to pay it. Similar to a Marriage Bond.

This is an example of a bond for £16,000 from Durham University Library Special Collections Catalogue
Durham Probate Records: probate bonds 1820-1839
DPRI/3/1820/A4   31 January 1820
administration bond, penal sum £16,000; Ann LYNN, widow, of East Cross Street in the parish of Bishop Wearmouth in the county of Durham subscribed with memorandum relating that additional security was given in 1822 (see bond 1822/A138) when the estate was revalued at under £9,000
http://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ead/dpr/dpr1-3-7.xml

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Also
DPRI/3/1821/T24/1   20 September 1821
will bond, penal sum £600; Mary PARKIN, widow, of Staindrop in the county of Durham. Died 16 July 1817
grant of administration to the nephew and one of the residuary legatees, the will left unadministered by the executors named in the will who have since deceased.

Stan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neno

Is the Bond in the NLW online wills collection?  I've had both wills and bonds from there  :)

If so, you can view it online by clicking on the Image1 - Imagexx that appears in red above the entry. It's only a small 'window' but you can enlarge and pan through. This will allow you to decide whether or not it's worth buying the full copy. The Bonds can be very variable in what info they contain. I've had some very interesting ones and also some that had very little info at all.

If you decide to purchase, the NLW service is very quick and you can download it  easily.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline neno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much, I now have a better idea of what a bond was.
Gadget.  Thank you for telling me how to get a preview. 
The bond did not show much but did connect the deceased with the trade directory entry that I found.
Extra evidence that I am on the right track.
Thank you

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Will bond / Administration bond
    Bonds were required for a variety of reasons by the court. Most common were those entered by executors and administrators, termed will bonds and administration bonds, and which bound the bondsman and his sureties to perform their duties faithfully, or suffer the penalty of a sum usually twice the value of the deceased's estate (series DPRI/3). Such bonds might be cancelled once a probate account had been accepted, and the conditions of the bond performed. In the later period will bonds became required only where no executor was named in the will or where for some reason the persons authorised by the court to execute the will were not those named as executors in the will.
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_records.htm

Stan

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
This pdf, from the Borthwick Institute, is a useful document to have at hand when looking at wills:

www.york.ac.uk/media/library/documents/borthwick/5administrations.pdf

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate