Author Topic: Domestic staff of stately homes  (Read 4009 times)

Offline grast

• RootsChat Extra
  • My name is 100% unique in the world!
    • View Profile
Domestic staff of stately homes
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

It's my first post so be gentle if this is in the wrong place.  It might be a long shot anyway, but I figure everything's on the internet if you know where to look.

I was wondering if there is a list of positions occupied by women in stately homes/castles in the 1800's anywhere? (and what they actually did)

One of my female ancestors worked in a castle and although at the moment I'm not sure what her occupation was, I want to know more about her daily life.

Grast
Grassby - Goole, Yorkshire
Geraghty - Ireland pre 1950
Wells - Coventry
Quinney - Warwickshire pre 1950

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic staff of stately homes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:48 BST (UK) »
Don't take this amiss, but not everything's on the internet.  It strikes me that your best bet would be a good book - perhaps a school history textbook.  Or the guidebook to a castle.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Grast and welcome to Rootschat!

You don't say where you are in the world, but I have found staff at local record offices to be a great source of information.

for specific properties, if they are in the hands of the National Trust or another Heritage organisation, their staff are also very well informed and are likely to have local knowledge about the property, if not your ancestor as such.

Do you have a "job description" from census returns?  Maybe other Rootsschatters have researched the occupation she followed.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline cep

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
Mrs. Beeton's Book of Houshold Management

I have paperback facsimile edition published 1968.  Original is 1861.

Pages of detail on the duties of household servants:

"Duties of the Maid-of-all-Work.

The general servant, or maid-of-all-work, is perhaps the only one of her class deserving of commiseration:
her life is a solitary one, and in some places, her work is never done.
She is also subject to rougher treatment than either the house or kitchen-maid,
especially in her earlier career:
she starts in life, probably a girl of thirteen, with some tradesman's wife as her mistress,
just a step above her in the social scale  ........  "

Regards   CP
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Grast. My maternal grandmother was a cook in gentleman's household. You may like to wind your way through this site.  8) http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/C/countryhouse/thepeople/downstairs_staff.html
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Grast

;D ;D Mrs Beeton online  ;D ;D

http://www.household-management.com/household/chapter41.html

Should tell you all you need to know about Servants and Staff
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this might be termed a ' stately ' home. My family link lived in Hanover Square, London  and comprised husband/wife and sister-in-law in the 1871 census.
However, they were slightly outnumbered by the staff who numbered  fifteen and were all listed as servants except for the coachmans wife. A case of more downstairs than upstairs it seems !

Offline grast

• RootsChat Extra
  • My name is 100% unique in the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 05 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies and links.

Unfortunately I haven't got anywhere near the census returns bit, as my information comes from an oral family history.  I'm hoping to ask my grandmother the details soon, and it should give me much better ideas about dates and locations etc.  I was wondering just how much I might be able to find out about her life once I did have the details, as I'm more interested in how she and her son lived than the exact facts and figures stuff.

I guess wherever they were would have been a stately home, although I got the impression it was out in the country somewhere (could have been a young child's imagination filling in the gaps though as well).

One additional thing, does anyone know how long the forums are kept live?  I might not be able to start my search for a while and I want to still be able to access the links.

Grast
Grassby - Goole, Yorkshire
Geraghty - Ireland pre 1950
Wells - Coventry
Quinney - Warwickshire pre 1950