Author Topic: Dating handwriting, please?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dating handwriting, please?
« on: Tuesday 11 March 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Almost 30 years ago I was given a photocopy of a piece of paper that listed ancestors' names, dates, and relationships.  We don't know who wrote the information down.  If it can be dated, it might give a clue as to the "author" (I have three people in mind).  Also, did both men and women have similar handwriting, or, is there a possibility to determine if it looks more like a male or female wrote it?  Suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Dating handwriting, please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
you should be able to work it out from the relationships.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim.  Thank you for your interest in this thread.

I've tried working out the relationships, but unfortunately, it doesn't help too much.  I only copied a bit of the page; the rest of the page includes:
top to middle of the page:  Mary Cooper and William Vaus marrying.  Their sons and daughters are listed below their names.
middle to bottom of the page:  deaths of family members.

An example of the confusion:
Elizabeth Vaus was the daughter of William Vaus and Mary Cooper.
However, Sarah Vaus was the mother of William Vaus, not the grandmother.

I think the relationships were for the people on the paper to help show where they fit in to the family, not the relationship of the "author" to the people on the paper.   :-\  I hope that makes sense.

There are 14 births listed and 13 deaths listed.  The years start with 1797 and end with the last death in 1851.

I do appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Would it have been written by one of the children of Mary Cooper and William Vaus?

How many of them were alive in 1851?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gardener:

Until a few months ago, I didn't have access to English records, so researching siblings was difficult.  I've just started to have a look around to see if I can find additional deaths and to see if something happened around 1851 that might have prompted the list of names.

My Vaus ancestor was in Ontario, Canada by 1857.  I don't know if my ancestor (who died in 1869 at the age of 40), her husband, or one of her siblings may have written down the information.

Nothing will be gained by finding out who wrote things down, but I've often wondered who wrote it down and why they did so.

I will try to determine how many family members were alive in 1851.  Thank you for your interest and question; it is appreciated.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 04:33 GMT (UK) »
When reading your request I intended to say that "No, you can't tell a male from a female's handwriting". But I think this was written by a man.  ;D

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie:  Thank you very much for your opinion.  I don't know anything about writing styles and wouldn't be able to say which gender may have written it.

If a male did write it, the most likely person was born in 1826 and died in 1912, so he could have written it when his wife was ill (and wanted to record her side of the family), or written it years later.   :-\

I appreciate your interest.  Thank you for replying.   :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:55 GMT (UK) »
(I only hope I haven't thrown you a bum steer Lisa :-\)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Nope.  It's just an opinion (which is more than I can offer at this time).  I will continue to research writing styles, to see if it pans out.  I do appreciate that you took the time to read the post and to let me know your opinion.   :)

ps  Unfortunately, I don't have any old letters, no photos with notations, nor any documents with signatures, so I can't compare the writing to existing documents.   :-\