Author Topic: Poor House Burials  (Read 21881 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Poor House Burials
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 July 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Vel ...

If you are in or can travel to Glasgow the Mitchell Library would have the Poor Law Records in relation to the family and they would have all of the information recorded by the "authorities"  probably including burial details if the authorities paid for them.

PS Welcome to Rootschat

Offline Vel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 July 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Does the Mitchell respond to written requests or do one have to go in person.

VEL

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 July 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I must admit I have never written and always visited in person

If you post a new topic headed something like "Mitchell Library Request" you may strike lucky with another RC member going there in the near future.
(unfortunately I will be away from the area for a few weeks).

Offline ellen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 July 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
hi
if you have name of person who died you can contact martha st register office for info regarding info where they are buried
                                    ellen
ps if you need help re this let me know

Offline ellen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Library Requests
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 July 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Margaret Isabella Henning [see below]died in Govan Poorhouse, I would love to know if it is possible to find out where she is buried. I live in Northern Ireland and cannot get to the Mitchell in person. I would be most grateful if anyone making a trip to the Mitchell would check the records for me.  Thanks.

I am researching the tragic life of my relative William Henning and his wife Ellen Davidson Dodds and their family
They left Ireland [ Newry Co. Down] around 1901 for Glasgow with their daughter Sarah Ann Victoria [ born in Ireland 1900]and settled in Maclean Street Govan, Glasgow. [ Sarah Ann Victoria died in 1914 in Glasgow]
Their second child Margaret Isabella Henning was born on the 10 July 1902 at 69 Mclean Street, she died in Govan Poor House on 9th June 1906.  The 3rd child Mary Jane Henning was born on the 19th September 1904 at 10 Mclean St Govan she lived just 11 months dying on the 11 September 1905.

Ellen [ William's wife ]died on 15th May 1905 aged 24. William enlisted in the Great War with the Inniskillen Fusiliers -- and yes you guessed it he was killed on the 15th October 1918 --less than a month from the end of the war.