Author Topic: CherbougFrance  (Read 1926 times)

Offline ladyrivers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CherbougFrance
« on: Thursday 13 March 14 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know where I could find birth, marriages and deaths in Cherbourg.  Ancestors were born there in the late 1700's to 1855.  I am particularly looking for Aspezie (Aspesie) Virginie Josephine (known as Josephine) le heressier.  Last know place of living was Guernsey and Jersey, Channel Islands. Any help is most welcome and thank you in advance

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CherbougFrance
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 14 19:25 GMT (UK) »
You need to look at the Manche archives:
www.archives.manche.fr

"État civil numérisé" is what you want - the digitised bmd records.  Civil bmd start from 1792, before that you have parish recors. There are indexes, but they are separate for each commune - so if the family actually came from some smaller town near Cherbourg it might be tricky to find them).

If you have trouble, let me know more details (when Josephine was born, when her family first came to the Channel Islands, if you know anything about her parents and siblings), and I'll have a look.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladyrivers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
I thank you so much for the information you sent me. All I have in the le herre.sier family is:
1861 Cenus Pierre Le Herr3sier 51, Bonne 40, Euphrasine 12(1849) Moses 10,(b 1851) Charles 8, (b. 1849) Jospehine 6.(B 1847). Pierre was born 1811 Cherbourg France. The children may have been born in Guernsey.  At one stage they went to Jersey this is where Pierre Jean Francois is buried.
Any look ups would be gratefully received.  Thank you so much
Peggy

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
1871 census says that she is b. Alderney:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFT5-JS7

In 1861 it looks like the two girls were b. Alderney, Charles was b. St Peter Port but Moses was b. France - perhaps they went back to visit family?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGYF-46P
 - here is a baptism for Charles which gives mother as "Le Flambe".

http://recherche.archives.manche.fr/?id=recherche_etat_civil
 - if you search here for Cherbourg and 1851, you will find a document "Naissances".

In it, the birth of "Rene Moise", son of Pierre Jean LeHerissier and Bonne Le Flambe, is recorded on 8th Jan 1851.  (There is an index at the back - he is on page 6). 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk