Author Topic: Help please finding a family in the 1861 census.  (Read 2969 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please finding a family in the 1861 census.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying. My interest is in Mary Ann Tull who married my 3 x great uncle Joseph Richardson in 1846. I still am unable to find them on the 1861 census which I believe is missing.
Best Wishes.
Erica.

Offline carveth1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Genuki website states that the Belgravia Sub-District, within St George's Hanover Square is missing. You might get somewhere with a Post Office Directory for 1861, although it would only give you Joseph. I had a look at Leicester's collection but the 1861 Directory isn't included:
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4 London Met Archives may hold it.
Richard Tull and his family are at 14 Stockbridge Terrace in 1841 HO107/0732/F? (the transcript has the name as Full and the house number as 13 - took me ages to find).
Mary Ann's brother John married Louisa Basing at Newbury, and can be found in 1861 at 4 Henry's Place Westminster, right by Eliots Brewery where he worked. RG9/0054/F? [Pages 120-121]. In 1871 they are visiting his uncle Henry Tull at Southbridge, Streatley Berks. RG10/1275/F? There are errors in both transcriptions. Alfred Henry Tull, her other brother, is a Professor and teacher of music in Reading in 1851 - Rose Cottage HO107/1692/F? but a licensed victualler in 1861 at the Rising Sun.   RG9/0029/F? Louisa seems to have lived with Mary Ann after Richard died, which suggests the possibility she was Mary Ann's daughter, not Richard and Ann's. Louisa died young, 24 June 1872 will proved 1873. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 June 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

1860 London Royal Blue Book has Joseph Richardson Pro. of Flute at 106 Warwick Street, Belgrave Road. This is the same address as the 1851 census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the address William - I can stop looking now!

Carveth -It's an interesting point you made about Louisa possibly being the daughter of Mary Ann. It hadn't crossed my mind but looking at dates I think you are probably correct.  Mary Ann was already pregnant with their daughter Kate when she married Joseph Richardson. He was lodging with the Tull family at the time! I always wondered why Louisa was the person present at Joseph's death (shown on death certificate) rather than his wife! (although I am sure he was not Louisa's father!) Joseph already had two children from his previous wife and they lived with his sister - but that is another story!